WFPB Low fat, Avoiding Wheat,Dumplings/Scones

Lionnose

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Flexitarian
Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone is aware of a recipe for a WFPB Low fat, Avoiding Wheat, Dumplings or Scones (biscuits)?

I'm struggling to find food that my partner and I can eat that my young son will also eat. I've found a really great stew we all love but it could really do with something with it. Prior to avoiding wheat & going low fat (my son is not low fat and eats wheat etc. when he has snacks/ attends nursery) we used minimalist bakers biscuits recipe which was great. I've tried using green pea flour and making gnocchi but that didn't work well and they fell apart.

Luckily I've found a wrap recipe that can do all these things so I will fall back on that if I can't find a different solution.

Thanks.

Why are you avoiding wheat. Are you avoiding gluten?
Unless you have a gluten intolerance you don't need to avoid it. Its allowed in a WFPB diet.
If you are just avoiding gluten there are a number of gluten free flours in the stores. I don't avoid gluten so I can't recommend one.
But stick around you will probably get a bunch of recommendations by the end of the day.

Thanks for your reply. I might not need to avoid wheat. I’ve just read lots of books about health recently and it wasn’t clear to me, but seemed to suggest wheat wasn’t the best, so I have been avoiding it. I think if I was going to have wheat I’d be keen to stick to wholewheat or mostly wholewheat. I’ve always struggled with my health and weight and avoiding sugar, processed foods, wheat and low fat has been working wonders but maybe the wheat isn’t necessary. It’s good to hear other opinions.

• Friendly
Reactions: 1956 and Emma JC
Thanks for your reply. I might not need to avoid wheat. I’ve just read lots of books about health recently and it wasn’t clear to me, but seemed to suggest wheat wasn’t the best, so I have been avoiding it. I think if I was going to have wheat I’d be keen to stick to wholewheat or mostly wholewheat. I’ve always struggled with my health and weight and avoiding sugar, processed foods, wheat and low fat has been working wonders but maybe the wheat isn’t necessary. It’s good to hear other opinions.

Cool. I think Carbs and Grains in particular need a new publicist. I see so many articles about how carbs are bad and grains are bad. And then the gluten free stuff is really good.

Here are my conclusions.
Unless you have Celiac's disease or KNOW that you have an intolerance to gluten you do not need to avoid gluten. I emphasized know because in a study they where they tested people, they discovered that half the people who thought they were gluten sensitive were not. and a surprisingly large number of people with gluten sensitivities didn't know. We can get tested if we are not sure.

Carbs are not bad. Not in general anyway. Refined or highly processed carbs are bad. that includes sugar and refined flours.

Grains are not bad although many of us eat too many. Dr. Fuhrman in Eat To Live recommends 3 servings of grains a day. But most people eat way more than that. I can easily get up to 5 or 6 if I'm not careful.

And as you already mentioned, your grains should be whole grains.

In Dr. Fuhrman's weight loss plan he recommends cutting grains to just one or two servings. also eliminating added sugars and oils.

Try this recipe. its one of my favorites

Reactions: 1956 and Emma JC
welcome to the forum

I eat mostly WFPB with some vegan naughties thrown in. In the past when I tried to stay away from animal products I found it very challenging, until I found Dr McDougall and decided I was definitely in the starchivore camp!! I eat lots of starches, whole wheat when I can but I don't stress about it, lots of rice, pasta, sprouted breads, potatoes, sweet potatoes, bean, legumes etc.

As @Lou suggests, unless you have celiac then I would think you may just be making life unnecessarily difficult by trying to avoid wheat. Enjoy your food and the joy that comes with helping your own health, with helping less animals be treated cruelly and with helping the environment.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Thanks both, that is one of our favourite meals too! I think this way of eating would be easy if it wasn’t for having a toddler in the house. I’ll do some trial runs on homemade wholewheat rolls and see if I can get the little one to eat them with the stew.

thanks again

Reactions: Emma JC
Reactions: Lou and Emma JC