Weirdest Thing You Never Knew About Your Home State

This isn't really, REALLY weird, but it's very interesting:

Tangier Island has retained a dialect that's been determined to closely resemble the language used during Restoration England, a period just slightly after Shakespeare's. Although recently the proliferation of television and other mass communication devices has deteriorated the accent, for generations the inhabitants spoke like early English settlers and are featured in the documentary, "American Tongues."

Reactions: ledboots
Interesting stuff! I was *afraid* to look at my state of Florida, since there is lots of weird stuff here, but I actually already knew that one.

My favorite: those crazy Alaskans:
"On April 1, 1974, Oliver Bickar climbed into Mt. Edgecumbe, a volcano that had been dormant for around 9,000 years, and made it look like it was coming back to life. After four years of planning, Bickar doused 100 tires in cooking oil and lit them on fire inside Mt. Edgecumbe. He also spray painted "April Fool" in 50 foot letters around the rim."

New York's Adirondack Park is larger than Yellowstone, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, and Glacier parks combined.

New York was the first state to require license plates on automobiles.

In 1885 New York State acquired property around Niagara Falls and established the first state park in the U.S.

In 1892 Ellis Island opened in New York Harbor as the primary immigration depot in the U.S.

Reactions: ledboots