We need a "Dating Section"

JacobEdward

Forum Legend
Banned
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Should sorta look at this as a moral imperative... facilitating a more robust core for the vegan community via matching partners together would be a huge contribution to the vegan movement, less people would be likely to relapse if they had a real support network that helped them build their new vegan family (a lot of the time it really is like starting over, parents and partners not wanting to go vegan even after hearing the arguments)...

As a Javascript developer I would love to help build the thing so that it was more like a profile system that you browse, like a different theme on top of the regular forum, lists of their posts and comments off to the side, algorithmic match scoring on common dating questions you typically get on all of the okcupids of the world...

This might be a totally other feature that should get its own post but deliberately collecting people from the other social media networks should definitely be a thing

Yes, I think it might be nice to have something like that, although at least at present I don't think we have nearly enough members for it to work properly. I'm unsure of the legality and technical feasibility of collecting profiles from other websites.

Maybe a good start could be an option to join a 'dating' user group which unlocks a section of dating/compability questions in your user profile and the ability to read other's dating/compatibility answers. I'll have to see if those features are there already in the forum software, or if it would require an add-on.

Yes, I think it might be nice to have something like that, although at least at present I don't think we have nearly enough members for it to work properly. I'm unsure of the legality and technical feasibility of collecting profiles from other websites.

Maybe a good start could be an option to join a 'dating' user group which unlocks a section of dating/compability questions in your user profile and the ability to read other's dating/compatibility answers. I'll have to see if those features are there already in the forum software, or if it would require an add-on.
I say it should be a browser extension that is integrated with all of the other networks using this forum as the remote copy, the browser extension being the local copy (indexedDB is unlimited)

I was just in the editor actually (primary focus has been getting my housing situated so I've been derailed for a while) and was debating with myself about the convention of the app... I want it to be as accessible and empowering as possible to the end user, I originally thought that should mean if all the source code can be adequately organized into a single file that then sends messages to these smaller utility files that just call eval on some text (I can always be sure the id of the message is from me and not some crazy hack attempt)... that it would be better than having things split into different files that need to be navigated in some other context... should definitely all be in one file if it can be... unfortunately the convention of the browsers have the content scripts and background pages in different files... but what do you think?

Not sure why you would think it would be illegal to collect people from other networks, its just a link to the forum right?
Trying to persuade vegans to use our own forum is like a philosophical thing

Btw, this is the drive folder with all the source files I shared in the https://www.veganforum.org/threads/algorithmic-matching-vegan-dating.16467/
The thing is very bare bones and I have all of these bugs with the styles and I mixed up the convention with a bunch of redundant files for the mobile... it really should be this thing that is from one file, but its not hard to switch back if I choose to do that...

Would definitely love to collaborate with vegans who know javascript

Like imagine there are vegans who mostly use facebook or something, they want their posts to show up in the dating section over here, they click the setting and then whenever they make an update it gets copied in the dating section here, generating activity, opportunity, as long as you can link to the original post...

If multiple people use the browser extension and create lists of vegans on facebook and sort them by who is single and who is not, scraping their timeline activity into the dating section unilaterally should be part of the app... like as if we're all collaborating to help match everybody...

I believe that will never be illegal, a browser extension is like writing on a newspaper with a pen... its your newspaper

Those things charge you money to post or to message, I am philosophically against that type of thing, the alternative I was considering was to create a go fund me campaign with a title like "Fund the FREE dating section to veganforum.org" and if anybody wanted to pass along a few dollars it would be that much more of a justification for me to work on the app... Thats what they should have done and instead they're all locked into some sort of predatory thing where its about making money before helping people