Wasp issue

das_nut

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I have some wasps building two nests right outside my door.

I usually have a live and let live philosophy, but the amount of wasps I have swarming outside my door is beginning to worry me.

Ideas?

If possible das , spray vegetable oil on any where they land (not on the wasps ) they wont land on it . It might be enough to move them on .

So far I've taken the hose and used it to spray the nest they are building.

I'm hoping they get the idea that the spot they chose isn't shielded, and they'll move.

If they are still building it but not yet living in it, knock it down at night. That should encourage them to build it somewhere else.

This is what I do. I evict the ones who put me or, more importantly, my man, in danger of being stung once they get mad in August. :yes:

I knocked it down with a jet of water. I think they are trying to rebuild, so I'll knock down the successor tomorrow.

Hopefully they'll get the hint.

There's plenty of eaves on the house they can build their hive under. But the eave right above the mailbox, right by the front door that sticks in the humidity so I have to slam it, is exactly the wrong location.

Sorry little wasps. I know you have to survive as well, but it's just too risky to people if you build right by my front door.

I knocked it down with a jet of water. I think they are trying to rebuild, so I'll knock down the successor tomorrow.

Hopefully they'll get the hint.

There's plenty of eaves on the house they can build their hive under. But the eave right above the mailbox, right by the front door that sticks in the humidity so I have to slam it, is exactly the wrong location.

Sorry little wasps. I know you have to survive as well, but it's just too risky to people if you build right by my front door.

They must really like your place. :D

Reactions: yally
I had a bees' nest last summer that was built right under the railing to the deck, right where you would put your hand to walk up the stairs. Sometimes you can't just let them be.

Earlier this summer we had wasps building a nest right in the door jamb. We just knocked it down when it was unoccupied and the wasps chose another location.

It was right in the door we use multiple times a day to go in and out of the house, so it just had to go. I'm not going to spend my summer dodging wasps every time I come home.

We let a nest go one year above our front porch (not because I'm opposed to knocking them down, because I'm really not, just because I couldn't, they were deep in an inaccessible place). Then they started randomly stinging us later in the year when it got hot and dry and they got numerous and angry. I never let it get to that point now. I knock them down early and regularly and keep them from establishing nests in places that will later be problematic for us because we need to us the area.

I had yellow jackets earlier in the summer. I couldn't hang my clothes on my apartment patio because they were swarming the wet clothes. Last summer they were going in and out of my hot water heater/storage closet through the vent. Must have been like a nice dark hole in a tree. I had to be brave and go out and open the door and they left.

I hope you can keep them away from your door. I would not want them flying in every time I opened my door. Especially with the kitties.

Pfft. Wasps build nests outside my door every year. I have yet to be stung. Contrary to the belief of humans, wasps really aren't all that interested in them. Go about your business. They will go about theirs.

^^ this.

There are different kinds of wasps, the majority will not sting you. Observe the kind in your environment and research what they are and if they are aggressive or not. Remember that they do play a role in balance and have positive points to keeping them around.