US Walnut Products to Rival Meat/Dairy

I have not but I haven’t really looked for it. I will now, though.

I always have walnuts in the fridge as well as freezer, I stock up when on sale. They go in salads, in patties, in my date balls, sub for the expensive pine nuts in pesto.
I don't think I'd like walnut milk

I don't think walnuts can be a large scale meat substitute. Nuts are, by their nature, difficult to grow. Not much yield per acre, long lead time before trees produce, etc.

That's why nuts are expensive.

I always have walnuts in the fridge as well as freezer, I stock up when on sale. They go in salads, in patties, in my date balls, sub for the expensive pine nuts in pesto.
I don't think I'd like walnut milk
I don’t think I would either but I always have to try new products at least once.

I don’t think I would either but I always have to try new products at least once.

I'm not with you on this one. I think that I would really like it as walnuts and pecans taste like coffee.:p

I'm planning to make some as soon as I buy a pack.:yes:

Reactions: KLS52
I'm not with you on this one. I think that I would really like it as walnuts and pecans taste like coffee.:p

I don’t like walnuts in general. I always sub pecans when walnuts are called for in recipes

However, that said, I did include walnuts in my nut roast and I loved that. So I can’t help but be intrigued.

Of course, I would like walnuts if they came glazed with some kind of sugar coating. :D

Oh, and walnuts and pecans taste like coffee? Hmmmm... :???:

I may get to Whole Foods today. If anyone in my area will have walnut milk, they will.

We must not like the same coffee :shrug:
I like mine plain, never the dark roasts, and hate anything nut flavored, or spice flavor in coffee
The only exception is I love chocolate in coffee.

I do love walnuts though, I am completely opposite on pecans than kls52! Pecans I like sugared!

I don’t like walnuts in general. I always sub pecans when walnuts are called for in recipes

However, that said, I did include walnuts in my nut roast and I loved that. So I can’t help but be intrigued.

Of course, I would like walnuts if they came glazed with some kind of sugar coating. :D

i substitute pecans for walnuts too. For me, there 's something bitter about the taste of walnuts.

I love almost every kind of nut I've ever tried: black walnut, English walnut (which is probably the kind the original article refers to), pecan, cashew, pistachio, filbert/hazelnut, Brazil, coconut. I like peanuts too, but of course they're a legume and kinda-sorta don't count... but at least they're cheaper!) I think macadamias and chestnuts (the non-native kind) are okay, but over-rated.

I've never had pignolia/pine nuts or native American chestnuts (for a few years I belonged to the American Chestnut Society, which is sponsoring the breeding of native chestnuts with resistance to the blight which eliminated it as a major forest tree).

I have a black walnut tree on my property (a sort of house-warming present from the squirrels when I moved in)- and in my experience, @Mischief 's post above is correct: I've eaten the nuts and they're quite good, but very labor-intensive!!! (I would leave a lot of them for the squirrels even if they were easy to hull and crack- their ancestors planted it, after all, so I figure they have as much a claim on it as I do.) But my tree, although huge, doesn't produce that many nuts- and after I pick a few up from the ground, first I have to remove the spongy husk (which stains my hands for weeks), and then crack them- and their shells are MUCH harder than those of the English walnut you get in the store. Maybe the unshelled nuts could be marketed as a low-calorie "diet" food: you use almost as many calories getting at the blasted nuts than you get back from eating them!!! But they are good- quite sweet and rich- not bitter at all. And Frances Moore Lappe, in her book "Diet For A Small Planet", noted that black walnuts have fewer calories for the amount of usable protein you get than English walnuts do.

I can imagine inventing new ways of growing different kinds of nuts. One of my sisters worked for a California almond orchard, and she showed me a picture of one of their machines. It looks almost like something out of a Dr Seuss book: there are sort of huge, oversize tongs coming out of the front, and they drive up to the tree, make the tongs clamp the trunk, and this thing vibrates/shakes the tree to make the nuts come raining down.

It's the compounds in roasted coffee that taste like toasted walnuts and pecans. Certain coffee beans are more fruity and others are more nutty in flavour.

It's the compounds in roasted coffee that taste like toasted walnuts and pecans. Certain coffee beans are more fruity and others are more nutty in flavour.
I understand the fruity ones, but not the nutty ones! Or maybe they're the ones I dislike? I hate nut flavors in coffee!

I understand the fruity ones, but not the nutty ones! Or maybe they're the ones I dislike? I hate nut flavors in coffee!

Coffee beans from South & Central America have the more nutty tones. I always buy a blend that is medium roast.
I really dislike African and Asian coffee, especially Robusta as it's very bitter.

I find that the only way to find good quality coffee is to decide on the type of flavour and roast you prefer. The way in which coffee is stored and brewed is also key.
The best coffee that I've ever had is espresso in Italy. It was very strong but in now way bitter and had a sweet/mild/caramel flavour.
The brand that I buy over here is 100 % Arabica that comes from Central America. It is described as fruity and yet I find that it is nutty and most probably because I always add milk and cream. It is strong and has no bitter tones as it's medium roasted.

@shyvas If you wanted to, I suppose the two threads could be merged (unless VV can only do that with threads in the same section?)

I didn't know about the other thread, and I've gotten something out of this one: I LOVE the smell of coffee, but the bitterness always puts me off, even though I do drink it on occasion. Reading about some of the different varieties of coffee here has me thinking about trying a different kind. If I didn't like it, I'd just finish it over time (using it to give myself a rude caffeine jolt on days when I haven't gotten enough sleep), and not get that kind anymore.

@shyvas If you wanted to, I suppose the two threads could be merged (unless VV can only do that with threads in the same section?)

I didn't know about the other thread, and I've gotten something out of this one: I LOVE the smell of coffee, but the bitterness always puts me off, even though I do drink it on occasion. Reading about some of the different varieties of coffee here has me thinking about trying a different kind. If I didn't like it, I'd just finish it over time (using it to give myself a rude caffeine jolt on days when I haven't gotten enough sleep), and not get that kind anymore.

I also like the aroma of coffee. Just the thought of having coffee in the morning makes me happy.;)
I never buy bitter coffee and stick to an organic brand that I have found in my local hypermarket ; Meo. It states that it has floral and fruity tones.

The thread is here (there are some useful and interesting comments) The coffee thread

Méo Café moulu biologique & équitable pur arabica - Monoprix.fr