Walkers Crisps - Smoky Bacon and Roast Chicken no longer vegetarian

Blobbenstein

Reaction score
This was on VB, and I posted a link in the 'Products' thread, but here it is on its own little thread:

Recent alerts

Walkers Crisps - Smoky Bacon and Roast Chicken

28/01/2013
It has been brought to our attention by the Walkers Crisps consumer care team that from the beginning of February 2013, the Smoky Bacon and Roast Chicken crisp varieties will no longer be suitable for vegetarians, as they will now include Freedom Food pork and free range chicken seasonings, respectively.
If you have any questions or comments please contact the consumer careline on 0800 274777 or email consumer@walkers.co.uk
http://www.vegsoc.org/page.aspx?pid=768

Stupid really, but omnies need their meat, and they feel all funny in the head if you give them bacon crisps and there's no bacon in them.

ETA: could a moderator add "no longer vegetarian" to the title?

What's the point? People have been eating the meat 'flavoured' crisps quite happily. Do they think more people will buy them now they have 'real meat' in them? :-S
I can only assume it's cheaper to use extracts than they flavourings they use xxx

We should all get our complaining hats on.

A lot of vegan people complained about the salt and vinegar crisps and they made them vegan.:) I'm going to check that they still are actually. Why do they mess around with the ingredients all the time and add completely unnecessary animal products!:rolleyes:

Yes exactly. If no-one says anything then they will not realise that it's an issue anyone's bothered about.

So...who's good at writing emails? ;) (I am not!)

Like omnis even READ whats in crisps without stuffing them in their mouths. I dont eat crisps that often at all, and if I do its plain McCoys down the pub, but its still annoying to know thats not an option when desperate.

Also I wonder how many vegetarians have eaten these - becuase who checks a packet every time they eat something theyve had dozens of times before?

Most people don't read what is in their food, the only people I know who do are vegetarians or people with allergies.

This sucks, think about all the extra meat required for what amounts to a minuscule amount in a pack of crisps that nobody is going to notice. Although it does make a lot of sense to have the foodstuff the crisps are meant to be the flavour of in the crisps. If it were tomato flavour crisps or something, I'd think it were a step in the right direction.

I don't think they will actually slaughter animals to get the flavouring out, it will be a by-product or the crisps would be mega expensive. Hopefully no MORE animals will die but still... yuck.

Switching ingredients like this annoys me especially as my husband is omni but I only buy vegetarian/vegan food for him at home and this type of thing makes it more awkward for me to buy him veg food that I know he enjoys. :down:

I avoid them anyway because they exploit the loophole in food labelling regulations, where they are permitted to state that a product is free from MSG, simply because they haven't added any MSG themselves, when in fact hydrolysed soya protein itself contains MSG.

Nevertheless, as far as introducing animal products is concerned, I would like to hear the reason behind the change before I make any judgement. If it was a temporary change due to concerns over safety of an ingredient, or the fact that an ingredient was no longer available, then I would accept that, although I wouldn't eat them.

And a change back to a vegetarian recipe without MSG from any source, would be most welcome.

I bought some MSG once to add to my curries. It seemed to make absolutely no difference to the taste, so I chucked it away. Maybe it doesn't work on me.

I had already emailed Walkers about the product change.

It was while searching the web for other people's opinions, that I found Veggie Views.

And today, I received a long, copy-and-pasted marketing reply from Walkers. I would have posted all of it, but it really only has two sentences that are directed at me.

It says that they are:

"sorry to learn of your disappointment with the changes we have made to our Walkers crisps."

And also, that:

"your feedback on these changes are very important to us, and please be assured that I have forwarded your comments on to our Marketing Team for their attention."

Perhaps some other members could also complete the Walkers complaint form at:

http://www.walkers.co.uk/contact/productcomplaint

Regards,
Jacko

Reactions: SummerRain