UK Waitrose magazine editor jokes about 'killing vegans'

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
While it's clearly a joke, I do wonder what his true feelings are about vegans. Perhaps not all that positive? It also makes me wonder how the average food writers feel, as well as people in general in this country.

Freelance journalist Selene Nelson emailed William Sitwell to propose a series of features on plant-based recipes, but he replied: "How about a series on killing vegans, one by one?"
More:
'Killing vegans' response from Waitrose magazine editor (29. Oct. 2018)

It is clearly not a joke. Apparently it's not the first time that he has expressed his disapproval towards vegans calling them hypocrites. Moreover when you actually state ''that you wish to kill'' is a very violent statement that would equate extreme disapproval.

I agree, it was the only acceptable outcome. I'll feel better about shopping at Waitrose now. They have made a lot of progress on vegan products and vegan labelling.

I certainly like their end of aisle Plant Based Foods section. It's so easy to find vegan food products.

On Good Morning Britain this morning. A fiery debate about vegans :

That was frustrating as well as heartening to watch. Mostly heartening :)

The vegan gentlemen expressed himself in a very calm manner giving concrete examples why he choose not to eat animals. The other gentlemen was unfair in his comments and was also very aggressive.
A bonus, as I'm sure more viewers were influenced by the former and not the latter.

Moreover, it's a shame that people that eat fish call themselves vegetarians. Surely a TV presenter should know the difference ?

The anti vegan was talking a lot of rubbish but Adrian Chiles was doing a fairly good job. Keep in mind from those outside the UK that he was one of those people who was famous for something else, became vegan, and has stumbled into being an advocate. However he seems to have given it some thought and done some reading. Someone from a vegan society could have slightly better arguments, but having a known TV personality doing it may be more effective. I think it's good that we are having more of these arguments.

The anti vegan was talking a lot of rubbish but Adrian Chiles was doing a fairly good job. Keep in mind from those outside the UK that he was one of those people who was famous for something else, became vegan, and has stumbled into being an advocate. However he seems to have given it some thought and done some reading. Someone from a vegan society could have slightly better arguments, but having a known TV personality doing it may be more effective. I think it's good that we are having more of these arguments.

That's how it goes these days. :yes: