Health Issues Vitamin D Deficiency

Poppy

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
The lab report from my annual check-up just came back and apparently I'm vitamin D deficient. My level is 25 and the normal range is 32-100. My doctor wants me to take 2000 ius of vitamin D daily and repeat the test in 6 months. What advice can you give about vegan vitamin D supplements? Does anyone have a favorite brand? And while I certainly don't want to get osteoporosis, is there any real harm in being slightly deficient when the rest of my health factors are very good? Thanks for the advice.

I take Deva vegan vitamin D tablets. I was very deficient (I think my initial test was 17), but these seemed to raise my levels quickly and I've stabilized in the normal range (around 50). I take the 2400 ius version. No stores in my area sell Deva supplements, so I just order them from Amazon.

Reactions: Poppy
I've seen an article (on veganhealth.org I think) referring to a study that says vitamin D2 (vegan) is just as good as D3 (usually not vegan) when you take it in large doses.

Also, this:
Some vitamin D blood tests only measure vitamin D3, so make sure that if you're taking vitamin D2, any blood test you get can measure D2. (More information at Mayo Clinic.)
From http://veganhealth.org/articles/bones#d2d3

Generally, veganhealth.org (run by Vegan Outreach and Jack Norris) has lots of good info on the topic, but you probably knew that already :)
http://veganhealth.org/articles/bones#mildddef

The lab report from my annual check-up just came back and apparently I'm vitamin D deficient. My level is 25 and the normal range is 32-100. My doctor wants me to take 2000 ius of vitamin D daily and repeat the test in 6 months. What advice can you give about vegan vitamin D supplements? Does anyone have a favorite brand? And while I certainly don't want to get osteoporosis, is there any real harm in being slightly deficient when the rest of my health factors are very good? Thanks for the advice.
Yes it is important. They are doing studies linking low vitamin D levels to certain cancers, depression, and more. It is not at all a veg*n issue; many omnis are deficient. Any one with dark skin, or no access to strong sun on bare skin should be tested imo. For D2 specifically, if you are supplementing with it.

My husband (omni) is very deficient and is on a once a week prescription dose of vitamin D.

My levels were low but I was told I could supplement with OTC. I take the Deva brand of D 2 from Amazon. Will see how well I've done come November.

I've been slacking on the calcium supplements which is bad for me...I have osteopenia and do not want it to get worse.

I was chronically deficient and had very low Vit. D (like Rabbitluvr's) and have been able to correct it (it was 37 in February, go me!!) by taking one D-2 supplement a day and drinking fortified plant milks (I like almond milk, but most kinds are fortified with calcium and vitamin D) two to three times a day. The calcium helps absorb the vitamin D, plus its generally a good idea to be getting enough calcium as a lady. :)

Reactions: ledboots
I need a lesson in vitamins. Seriously. I didn't think we needed calcium the way omnis need it, because our calcium stores aren't depleted processing the other stuff (phosphorous?) that dairy has in it. I guess I just assumed that we probably didn't need as much Vitamin D either. I'm going to order the Deva supplements.

Reactions: KLS52 and ledboots
I need a lesson in vitamins. Seriously. I didn't think we needed calcium the way omnis need it, because our calcium stores aren't depleted processing the other stuff (phosphorous?) that dairy has in it. I guess I just assumed that we probably didn't need as much Vitamin D either. I'm going to order the Deva supplements.

So do I. I have no idea what anyone's talking about!

Here's an article from the Vegetarian Resource Group that explains a lot about vitamin D and other minerals that are important for bone health. The article is mainly about osteoporosis, but I think they do a good job of explaining the bionutrition stuff. :)

Thanks for the article - it was great except for the suggested diet at the end - bleh! Kidney beans, pasta, marinara and a whole wheat tortilla? :p