Nutrition & Diet Vitamin D - D2 and D3

KLS52

Love Is A Verb
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
I am low on D. I am curious to see if the supplements that I am taking every day are going to help. It's a vegan brand I found on Amazon...D2 not D3. Hoping it is just as effective. Seems to be some controversy.

Hubby is so low on D he has a prescription.

I am low on D. I am curious to see if the supplements that I am taking every day are going to help. It's a vegan brand I found on Amazon...D2 not D3. Hoping it is just as effective. Seems to be some controversy.

Some of the blood tests ddone measure in a way that favors B3. B2 should raise your levels, you just have to take more. And get sunshine on bare skin whenever you can. Fair skin even benefits from weak rays like you northerners have. ;)

Reactions: KLS52

I read somewhere that you need to take double D2 to get the same effect as D3. But I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Reactions: ledboots
I read somewhere that you need to take double D2 to get the same effect as D3. But I'm not sure how accurate that is.
I may have been wrong ... From veganhealth.org:
There has been a long-running debate on whether vitamin D3 supplements are more effective than vitamin D2. The research has been trickling in since 1998, and in 2012 a thorough meta-analysis by Tripkovic et al. was published making some things clear (53):

• In large boluses of 50,000 IU or more, vitamin D3 is much more effective than D2 at raising and maintaining vitamin D levels.
  • In daily amounts of 1,000 to 4,000 IU per day, vitamin D3 is somewhat better than D2 at raising vitamin D3 levels.
There are some other things to consider about the research comparing D2 to D3, the most important of which is that vitamin D2 is probably adequate for most people. Even though D3 might increase vitamin D levels somewhat better than D2, D2 still increases the levels well into and beyond the range that is considered optimal by the Institute of Medicine.
Calcium and Vitamin D - Vitamin D3 vs. Vitamin D2 (veganhealth.org)

Reactions: KLS52
I was going to start a thread on vegan vitamin D3, since it's a pretty new thing.
Since this thread has gone that way though...

I've recently found a few new sources.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Natures-Plu...d=1382818010&sr=8-1&keywords=vitamin+d3+vegan

There's a link from that page to the amazon.com product page too.
They're also full of lots of other things that seem like they should be good for you,
as well as being organic.

http://www.viridian-nutrition.com/Shop/Vitamin-D3-400iu-Vegan-P673.aspx

http://vegusto.co.uk/32-vitamins
http://vegusto.co.uk/32-vitamins

"Vegan, Vegetarian & Sheep Friendly" :)

These ones are certified by the Vegan Society, & you can buy vegan cheese at the same time. :)

Reactions: Second Summer
I got my vitamin D from the chiropractor office. I got it in a liquid form that is supposed to be absorbed more easily than the pill form.

Trying not to be too graphic, but there are a lot of undigested vitamin capsules, gelcaps, and tablets in the sewer systems.
Oh I'm sure that there are. I've read elsewhere that most of them don't actually get absorbed enough to be worth taking. I'm not even sure if my B-complex vitamin is doing me any good.

Drink your soy/almond/coconut milk three times a day! That stuff is fortified and the D-2 is probably more readily absorbed as the milk has some fat in it. I think the coconut yogurts are fortified as well.

I take Deva vitamin D2. Blood tests show that my D levels went up quickly while taking this. My levels were very low, but are now in the normal range; still taking Deva's D2. (I take the 2400 iu tablets.)

If my levels hadn't gone up, or if I had needed a prescription for it, I would have taken D3 until I was closer to normal. :blush:

I take Deva vitamin D2. Blood tests show that my D levels went up quickly while taking this. My levels were very low, but are now in the normal range; still taking Deva's D2.
I am happy to hear this. I can't wait for my check up in January.

I'm low on D vitamins too. I take my vitaminpills every day, and they contain 200% of the recomended value. It's the Veg1 vitamin. I checked the package now, and it stood only "Vitamin D". Should I find another brand?

Since I got a one pill a month vit D from my DR , plus daily (well most days) vit D ,I have never had low iron problems . I have had fluctuating iron levels for years .

I'm low on D vitamins too. I take my vitaminpills every day, and they contain 200% of the recomended value. It's the Veg1 vitamin. I checked the package now, and it stood only "Vitamin D". Should I find another brand?
It's D2 :
http://www.vegansociety.com/hubpage.aspx?id=678443#!/~/product/category=5011010&id=20838003 said:
Ingredients: Sugar, Dextrose, Acacia, Selenomethionine (Selenium), Stearic Acid, Flavour (Blackcurrant), Erfocalciferol Preperation (D2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (B6), Magnesium Stearate, Riboflavin (B2), PVP, Folacin (Folic Acid), Potassium Iodine (Iodine), Cyanocobalamin (B12).

It's the same one I take, I've always been fine but everybody is different.

It didn't work. My levels actually dropped and now I have to take the prescription D. :(

I've been neglecting my Vitamin D supplements, something that is important for me who lives in a country like Sweden.