Nutrition & Diet Vitamin B12 - Recommended Dosage ?

mary1

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Hi all,

Do you take a B12 supplement? I'm curious how much (mg) and how often do you take it.
Do you feel a difference when you take it?

just sucking on my Veg1 pill(thanks for the reminder).....I keep them in a dosset box, so I know I missed the last two days....

veg1= 10 micrograms of B12 per day.

Veg1 here as well (10mcg) every day. I also take a 500 mcg a couple of times a week just to be on the safe side.

And then of course I get a little from fortified foods like soya milk which I drink almost every day.

My Deva Vegan Multivitamin with Greens has 100 mcg of B12 and I take it once a day, unless I forget.

Gosh, you guys are so consistent. I take about 500mcg when I remember to...which is about once every two or three weeks! I'm going to try to be more diligent.

And I don't know if it's my imagination or not, but I feel like I get better sleep when I take it. I usually take it just before bed (when I bother to take it).

B-12 is the only supplement I take regularly, because it's the only one I think I need. I got it at Rite-Aid, a chain of drug stores in my area. Each tablet has 16 times the RDA of B-12, and I keep the bottle at work, taking half a tablet each day.

(I try to eat a tablespoonful of ground flax seed each day also, for the omega-3 fatty acid content, but that's not really a "supplement".)

Try to take 1000 mcg a day when I remember. I think I feel better when I do but I don't know if I'm just better at taking it when I'm feeling better.

Also the only supplement I take regularly other than the occasional iron pill.

I take two sublinguals a day. I can't remember the dose since I'm currently out of them. All the supplements and vitamins I take are chewables since I have issues swallowing big pills. I am also much more consistent about taking them when they are in chewable form because it's like eating candy.:D

This thread made me go and check the dosage of my B12 sublingual tablets. I take about 4 tablets a week roughly and they are 500mcg.

Are the sublingual B-12 supplements supposed to be an alternative to injections? I know that most people who got B-12 deficiency got it because they could not absorb B-12 in their intestines- they lacked an absorption factor. This type of malady used to be 100% fatal until they dicsovered B-12 and injected it directly into the patient.

Are the sublingual B-12 supplements supposed to be an alternative to injections? I know that most people who got B-12 deficiency got it because they could not absorb B-12 in their intestines- they lacked an absorption factor. This type of malady used to be 100% fatal until they dicsovered B-12 and injected it directly into the patient.
If someone has pernicious anemia, sublingual is not enough. They must have the injections, which work great but hurt.

Reactions: Tom L.
I just bought some cherry flavoured tablets. They are delicious and are supposed to be put inside the cheek or under the tongue and allowed to dissolve.