Violence against women - it's a men's issue.

SummerRain

I dreamed that God would be forgiving.
Reaction score
This video was shared on a different thread in the UK forum, I watched it but forgot to reply but I thought it would make an interesting discussion.

Personally I thought the talk was interesting. I agree that society tends to put emphasis on the victim of crimes, not the perpetrator, no matter what the crime is. In fact, it's difficult not to, it's so embedded in our culture. If a neighbour gets burgled (or is that... if somebody burgles your neighbour?) it's normal to hear "Oh well they did leave their windows open at night", etc.

I think that it's normal to try to prevent crimes by taking precautionary measures, and it's easy for this to subtly shift into blaming victims for crimes. Perhaps because if you can find a reason to blame somebody for a crime, that provides a way for you to believe it wont happen to you? Oh I'd never have left my windows open, so I wont get burgled. I think the same applies to all crimes including crimes of violence from men against women.

You're second link is broken.

While I agree with the person's point about shifting focus from the abused to the abuser, I'd have to say it's a social issue that crosses gender and sexuality lines.