Video: George Monbiot on climate change and capitalism

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
George Monbiot says it well in this short clip from Frankie Boyle's New World Order (11th April 2019):

He's right, of course. A goal of perpetual economic growth is a recipe for disaster. We urgently need a better way to measure human welfare than GDP.

I'd reccomend following Monbiot's blog and I agree with much of what he says.

I do think there is too much emphasis on economic growth. The economic growth I'd like to see in developed countries would be about zero, provided that this didn't lead to unemployment or other bad things. I think the employment rate or the poverty rate or even happiness (surveyed) might be better metrics.

I think calling for an overthrow of capitalism and environmental policies at the same time is asking a lot and may not work, strategically. I think we can fix the environment by modifying the structure of taxes and subsidies to promote greener subsidies while developing new economic models in the meantime.

Climate change needs action right away. There is no way we will have an agreement on a new economic model within the next few years.

Although he says don't fly and eat a plant-based diet are the main two things individuals can do, I don't think it's a good idea to ignore the many other things that can be done as an individual. I sort of half agree that from an activism perspective we should focus on reduced flights, plant-based diet, and system change, but I think as individuals we should try to cut our own carbon footprints in many areas.