Veggie to vegan. 6 weeks, all going well so far!

JoannaM

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hello!

I've joined the forum to talk to like minded people. The most annoying thing has been constantly having to explain myself to meat eaters.

I don't get all the hatred out there. If you want to join a group of people who inspire such venom on social media, become a vegan! I think people feel threatened by us, or they're just plain ignorant. It's sad.

Glad it's going well. At least explaining yourself to meat eaters is an opportunity to promote vegetarianism and veganism. :)
Welcome and hope you are doing great today!

That is the hardest part, constantly explaining to others who ask but don't really want to know. My friend asked me to tell her about it but not anything that might make her want to not eat meat or dairy. What can you do? I have no other reason to be vegan other than the cruelty to animals and the plain wrongness of killing to eat. But vegans are becoming more common, I know three personally and know of more, a few years ago I didn't know or hear of any in my immediate sphere. It should get easier.

Totally agree Joanna. It's been years for me and much of the family still just don't get it :/ Welcome to the forum, i'm new myself :)

People know what is going on but they ignore it. We make them feel guilty so they resent us. It's human nature really. They don't see a passionate person they see a virtuous one. That's why we need to gently point out the benefits and not browbeat people to get our message across. Throughout history the virtuous often ended up tied to a burning stake. So sometimes the 'softly, softly catchy monkey' way is the best way.

I really think the worst time to be asked is the time you are most likely to be asked about it: at the table, mid meal. I offer a PG or 18 version of my explanation, or suggest we talk about it at another time. I also offer to send links and to make a copy of Cowspiracy for the enquirer.

Reactions: JoannaM
I really think the worst time to be asked is the time you are most likely to be asked about it: at the table, mid meal. I offer a PG or 18 version of my explanation, or suggest we talk about it at another time. I also offer to send links and to make a copy of Cowspiracy for the enquirer.

This really is the worst time and the most obvious time that you will be asked. I was at a friend's house for dinner and they had cooked a roast and someone suddenly noticed that I wasn't eating it and asked that loaded question "Why are you vegan?" Maybe one day I will explain graphically and ruin the evening for everyone, but I haven't had the heart to yet. I just say I do it for the animals and leave it at that, I offer to pass information to those who are really interested, but nobody has been really interested yet, other than from the health benefits to themselves, I do mention that I do it for the health benefits of the animals, as we sit around the dead body of one. It's tricky working out how far you can go, and inside you want to tell them it all.

I was thinking that the next time I get this I might say that I know the dirty secrets of the meat industry but ask me after dinner so as not to spoil your appetite.

Reactions: earthlingtommy
Hope u successfully go vegan for good. If u need any help regarding nutrition feel free to message me. I've done a lot of research and would love to help anyone going vegan.

Hi
I am fed up with explaining myself for being vegan. I think we should ask the meat eaters why they feel the need to eat murdered animals, they are the savages, this is 2016 and it amazes me that there are so many ignorant selfish people out there.

Some people think that if abattoirs had glass walls, no one would eat meat. I'm not so sure, it would turn some people but there are those who really do not care. Thanks for the support guys, I'm still going strong with it. Not wavered once.

i think that over the long term veganism will reduce your desire to harm others. i have noticed that i am not as fascinated with watching fights on tv now. not sure if that is due to to my veganism but it seemed to coincide timewise with the loss of interest.

I agree Bill, I used to love Westerns, but I can't be doing with the violence now. I know it's all just rubbish on film and not real but I just don't want to watch it.

i grew up on westerns where they littered the deserts with dead indians, like they didn't matter.. now it just seems wrong to follow one character and leave all the dead bodies to rot... i grew up in the 1950's and this was how the standard television plot went.

Yes, it was all westerns when I was a child, Rawhide, Gunsmoke, Riverboat and Bonanza, etc. Before that it was hospitals. Then later it was all police and now it seems to be detectives. Still a lot of dead bodies though.

one time there was a detective show called columbo and i did like and still like that show.

Oh God, that's on every weekend on two channels. They're showing about three in a row on both sides. I used to love Banacek with George Peppard, but they never repeat those.