Vegetarians and Peace

Huckleberry

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I think vegetarians should work to end war.

We should condemn all the war-mongers:

Some people think of vegetarians as self-absorbed eccentrics focused on trifling matters. If we ally with those opposing war we will gain credibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian W
Hollywood indulges in and glamorizes drug use which funds the brutal war in Mexico.

Last edited:
War profiteering:

i feel like war is usually mostly about resources. most modern leaders want their people/constituents to be satisfied and happy, to have plenty, because that reduces unrest, and reduces the leaders' chances of being replaced, by coup or by elections. So they send their military to force other countries to give them what will make life easier for the majority. The united states gov't forces other countries to give up oil and other resources for cheap, to keep all of us happy.

I think what i am trying to say is that prevention of war begins with conserving and making wiser use of resources. Which is actually part of why some of us (me anyway) choose veganism.

Last edited:
some would blame the military, but they are only hired by our leaders, and ultimately by us.

also, on a different note, animals suffer greatly in war. most animals don't even like artificial fire works. Real bombs? no one loves those.

This is a vast topic. And as is often the case with such topics, there are no simple answers. (Although I do agree that more careful use of resources is a very important contribution!)

There is a concept called a "just war". I'm unsure if I agree with it, but I certainly think there is such a thing as a just defence. And if you know your neighbour is preparing for and is hell-bent on attacking, destroying and annexing your country, then you are justified in taking measures to protect yourself, including building up a capable military and armaments industry.

But, it is well-known that the military-industrial complex can become a force of its own, and it's not always a good thing. On the one hand, it drives innovation (e.g. in the space race) and employs large numbers of people. On the the other hand it can get out of hand and it can actually contribute to starting wars, coups and unrest, usually in places far away.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: bEt and Brian W
I wish we lived in a world where ending war was a realistic goal, but we don't. There will always be leaders who see war as a way to secure their place in history. And others who don't want war but find themselves escalating towards it so as not to appear weak to their supporters. And other conflicts that can't be ignored or solved diplomatically...sometimes there can only be a winner and a loser, and any leader trying to do right by his country will want it to be on the winning side.

There are plenty of reforms that could minimize corruption and conflicts of interest in national security, which should obviously be pursued, but I don't think the causes of war have a political solution.

There are plenty of reforms that could minimize corruption and conflicts of interest in national security, which should obviously be pursued, but I don't think the causes of war have a political solution.
I wonder how we might view the situation in a 100 years or later, when climate change will have made Earth more hostile to life, and at the same time humans have also started to settle outside our home planet, again in places hostile to life. Will we start to value life more, value human life more? Will we transcend old identities around nationality, race and faith, and form a shared identity simply as humans - the most advanced life form and shepherds of life in a dark and hostile universe? Or, will the limited resources lead to a dystopian Mad Max-style world, with even more competition and conflict?