Vegetarian foods cooked with oil used for meat/fish?

SummerRain

I dreamed that God would be forgiving.
Reaction score
So the spin-off chip/fries thread made me think of this and I didn't want to derail the chip/fries love thread :D

Do you consider vegetarian foods fried in the same oil as non-vegetarian foods as vegetarian?

I know a lot of people who do, and a lot of people who don't. Personally I'm more concerned about what's an ingredient than what food might be contaminated by, but I'm curious what others think and why...

This isn't something I have thought about since I first went vegetarian years ago, and all the chip shops in my area cooked chips separately in vegetable oil so I forgot all about it... but since moving I've realised in northern England this is less likely to be the case and so I've started questioning it again.

I'm not that fussed about cross-contamination. If the oil itself is an animal product, then I wouldn't eat that, but if it's been done in the same deep fryer or on the same griddle or something, then I don't make a fuss about it. Although most places I go to regularly keep separate areas, utensils, etc., or are completely veg*n anyway.

I wouldn't eat food fried in animal fat. I would eat food fried in the same vegetable oil as non-veg*n food.

I consider this a minor issue. Especially when eating out with other people, I think worrying about my fries being cooked in the same oil as someone's chicken fingers or whatever just makes veg*ns look overly fussy.

Obviously I would prefer all separate utensils/equipment. But I live in a city where finding restaurants with a vegetarian (much less vegan) option on the menu is a rarity, so unless I stop eating out completely, this isn't something I'm going to worry about.

Most places I've asked have separate fryers, probably because of the taste of fish or chicken gets in the fries. A guy who worked at mcdonalds said they use new oil for the fries, then it goes to the chicken, then when it is really yucky they use it for the fish.

I don't usually ask about cross contamination, though.

Reactions: SuicideBlonde
Id prefer not to eat food cooked in the same veggie oil as meat or fish, and I really wouldnt want to eat food cooked in animal fat.

Reactions: ledboots
Oh yeah, to be clear, I meant if the oil was vegetable oil. :)

Reactions: ledboots
I wouldn't like it and I would consider it non-veg*n. The thought of it makes me ill. I have asked on occasion whether fries are cooked separately from chicken fingers and the like because one time I got fries and I swear they tasted like seafood. They were so gross I sent them back. And then they asked whether I wanted another batch. I was like...noooooo, thank you.

Reactions: shyvas
Unless I were starving and that was the only thing for me to eat.. I wouldn't eat it.

Most places I've asked have separate fryers, probably because of the taste of fish or chicken gets in the fries. A guy who worked at mcdonalds said they use new oil for the fries, then it goes to the chicken, then when it is really yucky they use it for the fish.

I don't usually ask about cross contamination, though.

I worked for McD's in high school (obvs pre-vegan). Fries and meat products went in different fryers. Also, it was new vegetable oil for both fryers every day. Also, the fries are vegan in Canada. Not trying to pump up McD's but I'm a fan of real, true information.

It's a shame the fries in the US aren't. They still use beef fat in their fries, right?
Also a shame they don't offer a vegan burger. Maybe some meat eaters would be willing to try it. :shrug:

When I was working there, they test drove a veggie burger. I remember it was really good. But not enough people ordered it and because the patties had to be pre-cooked (took 5-7 minutes to grill), they took it off the menu. This was in Vancouver, BC.

To me it depends on things like smell. If they are cooked in the same oil but you cant smell any meat/fish smell on the food and it just smells like vegetable/pastry, it is ok. But if it has a suspiciously meaty smell or fishy smell it is obvious that it is not a good thing to eat as their oil has become infused with the animal product. Most deep fry cooking here is done in vegetable oil (though things like pies can be a problem as lard is used for them).

I dont really eat at McDonalds anyway, stufff there seems kind of cardboardey. I have eaten there and suspected I was eating a similar thing to the box it came in.

If they're cooked in the same fryer as meat products then I won't eat them. But I'll risk a little cross-contamination.

For example, I'd chose McDonald's veggie burger with this cross-contamination over getting a veggie burger and chips from a chippy where they cooked it in the same oil as the fish.

If I'm so hungry that I would eat a scabby monkey I don't ask.

When I can bear not to eat if I dont get the right assurances then I do.