Vegetarian and Vegan friendly airlines?

Paul1

Newcomer
Reaction score
My wife, stepson and I recently flew round-trip from Syracuse, NY to Bucharest, Romania on Delta Airlines and KLM and when I purchased our tickets, I asked for vegetarian meals for all of us. Our flights (and meals) went like this:

Syracuse, NY to JFK (New York City) on Delta Airlines - It was about a 45 minute flight and no meals were served.

JFK to Amsterdam on KLM - It was about a 7 hour flight and we were given a vegetarian meal of very spicy beans, rice and some kind of mashed lintel paste, along side of that we were given some fruit.

Amsterdam to Bucharest on KLM - The flight was about 3 hours (if I remember correctly) and everyone was given a turkey sandwich snack. I told our flight attendant that I had asked for vegetarian meals when I purchased our tickets and she replied that she was sorry but they did not serve vegetarian meals on short flights and we were given nothing as an alternative to eat.

The same meals were served on our return flights and when the flight attendant on our flight from Bucharest to Amsterdam (on KLM) tried to give us turkey sandwiches again, I repeated that I had ordered vegetarian meals for all of us, she then rounded up some packets of almonds, granola bars and other little snacks that did not contain meat for us to eat.

Have you had better experiences with other airlines? If so, who were they? Our experience with Delta and KLM wasn't life scaring, traumatizing or anything like that but we will be visiting Romania often in the future and I don't mind paying a little extra to companies that take such things into consideration. I seem to remember flying from Munich, Germany to Bucharest (a short flight) on Lufthansa Airlines and was given a vegetarian meal but it was a while ago and I could be mistaken.

I believe all transatlantic flights will have vegetarian and vegan meals. Or at least I haven't been on any that didn't. None of them have been amazing, but some have been pretty good for what it is (i.e. a hot meal served in a plastic box in a cramped airplane). About a decade ago I had a good experience with Lufthansa, but I haven't travelled with them since then.

A few of the supposed vegan condiments served with the meals have been non-vegan, so I always read the ingredients list now.

A couple of years ago (2010 or so) we flew to Croatia from the UK, and we were served a vegan meal on that flight. I don't remember which airline it was.

We've been flying with Virgin for our honeymoon and it's been fine. The in-flight snacks haven't always had a vegan option, but I got two fairly tasty vegan meals on a 10 hour flight, so I was happy. My vegetarian husband was able to eat just about everything including the snacks, so he was happy too.

I flew with united airlines last time I went to the US and it wasn't as good - they assured me that my meal was vegan (after handing it to me and saying 'vegetarian') but I'm fairly sure it had dairy in, as it screwed with my stomach in the same way that dairy does.

My wife reminded me that we were served good vegan meals on our transatlantic flights with Air Canada back in 2011.

My wife reminded me that we were served good vegan meals on our transatlantic flights with Air Canada back in 2011.

Good to know since Air Canada had some pretty decent prices for tickets the the last time I checked. I also believe that all transatlantic flights will have vegetarian and vegan meals but I'm wondering how many go beyond that and offer them on shorter flights when snacks such as turkey sandwiches are offered to non vegetarians and vegans.