Vegan Cashew Mac-n-Cheez

Everleigh

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I feel like I just have to share this recipe.It's my favorite macaroni and cheese recipe since I have gone vegan.I have tried a lot of different ones using prepackaged vegan cheeses and nutritional yeast but this some how always wins out over any of them.It's tangy and savory and it really does taste cheesy.

What you need:

1/2 medium potato peeled and chopped
1/2 a large carrot peeled and chopped
1/2 a small onion peeled and chopped
1 1/2 cup raw cashews
1 cup unsweet almond milk
4 garlic cloves
6 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons salt
black pepper to taste
1 teaspoon mustard
your choice of pasta
1 slice bread
1 Tablespoon non dairy butter
parsley or paprika for garnish

Preheat oven 350 f .In pot add potato,carrots and onions.Fill pot with water until veggies are just covered with the water.Bring to a boil.Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes or until tender.Meanwhile process 1 toasted slice of bread in a processor until you get crumbs.Add 1 tablespoon of butter and process until mixed.Place in bowl and set aside.
Next process cashews until they are fine crumbs similar to cornmeal.Now add the rest of sauce ingredients.Process until smooth.Add veggie mixture to sauce mixture in processor.Process again until completely smooth.Cook pasta according to package instructions.Rinse and drain.
Spoon pasta into a casserole dish and pour sauce over the top and mix with spoon until noodles are completely covered in the sauce.Sprinkle the reserved breadcrumbs over the top and dust with parsley or paprika.You can also add the paprika or parsley when it is finished cooking.

Bake 30 minutes or until the top is browned and noodles and sauce have heated through.

I can't recall where I got the recipe but it might have been from www.ohsheglows.com

Last edited:
Reactions: Nightshade
Ohsheglows is one of my favorite recipe sites. I do love a good mac n cheese but I try to avoid the pasta nowadays. I just discovered 'pasta' made from beans though so I might try this sauce on top of some of that.

Also it is okay to sub out the raw cashews with the roasted no salt kind and reduce the lemon juice if you think it's going to be too tangy for you.But I think you probably should try it first this way then adjust it later according to your own tastes.