Veganz supermarket coming to the UK (London) in 2014!

This is very good news for those of you in London/the UK. It would be nice if they could expand into the US also.

Awesome! I googled and couldn't find where either. But I'm definitely going, where ever it is.

Nice! You guys are so lucky! :)

I couldn't find any info on location either. I bet it will be somewhere like Kensington, I hate traveling that far.:oops:

This might have been mentioned elsewhere, but it's news to me!

VEGAN SUPERMARKET TO OPEN IN LONDON! VEGANZ

So it doesn't say exactly where in London it will be. Anyone here have a clue?

I called them and they said that they are planning to open a store at the end of the year. Furthermore they are still looking for a suitable location in London. Apparently they will put up the information on their website which will also be in English. They are currently working on it too.

I couldn't find any info on location either. I bet it will be somewhere like Kensington, I hate traveling that far.:oops:
Haha me too. The only time I bother to go to Kensington is when the vegan fayre is in town and then that kinda defeats the point. Then they've got Whole Foods there anyway. I dont tend to shop in health food shops anyway as its expensive, but itll be nice to have that novelty factor.

Its weird that nowhere gives the location - "London" is quite broad and that makes me think they havent found somewhere yet. I also wonder how long it'll last. London is really pricey. </negative>

edit: Shyvas beat me to it!

When I was googling it yesterday I read that there already is a vegan supermarket in Manchester: Possibly called Unicorn? I can't remember :(

Anyway it wouldnt suprise me if they couldnt find a suitable place in London so set up shop in somewhere like Brighton/Manchester/Brum/etc instead.

When I was googling it yesterday I read that there already is a vegan supermarket in Manchester: Possibly called Unicorn? I can't remember :(

Anyway it wouldnt suprise me if they couldnt find a suitable place in London so set up shop in somewhere like Brighton/Manchester/Brum/etc instead.

Yes, we do have Unicorn :) we also have a vegetarian co-op shop. I have it pretty good vegan-wise up here.

But I am greedy and want more, and want it closer to where I live so I can go there more often :p

Reactions: Amy SF
I am only just catching up to the fact that veganism is really gaining momentum around the world. There's been a real shift in the last few years and it's becoming accepted in a ways I've never seen before.
This is great news... I hope it keeps spreading!!

Reactions: ledboots
I am only just catching up to the fact that veganism is really gaining momentum around the world. There's been a real shift in the last few years and it's becoming accepted in a ways I've never seen before.
This is great news... I hope it keeps spreading!!
It really is amazing. I will take the vegan jokes, as they come with the territory of becoming more mainstream, I guess. :)

Reactions: Trinity
I have called them and they say that the date is now 2015. They don't seem to have an issue with finding the location in London but have other projects of opening new stores in Germany.

Reactions: Trinity
Bad news ...
The first entirely vegan supermarket chain has filed for bankruptcy procedures due to a lack of demand, according to reports on Monday.

The chain Veganz, which shuns animal products, will close at least four of its nine of its branches after announcing it was filing for bankruptcy procedures in December, Lebensmittelzeitung reported.
More: The first fully vegan supermarket chain is now shutting down some German stores (16. January 2017)

I guess they never made it to London.

Some background information on the Veganz shutting down ... this is actually quite a controversial topic in Germany at the moment.

Veganz used to be active in two areas -
a) producing vegan products for retail and
b) retailing those products (and others, especially expensive stuff imported from the US like Daiya cheese and Tofurkey whole vegan turkeys) at quite high prices.

They had been under quite a bit of criticism in the past (ironically a lot of that criticism was given by fellow vegans) for pursuing a too-ambitious expansion plan for their retail stores (huge stores in prestigious locations in many places that possibly did not support a full-fledged vegan supermarket), for charging very high prices and for concentrating on unhealthy expensive processed specialty products.

Veganz has now filed for "planned bankruptcy" for their retail company and wants to concentrate on producing (and likely importing) vegan products only. This is seen by many of the German vegans (myself included) as not very ethical behaviour and likely something they planned in advance (and the reason why they established two separate entities in the first place).

The article is incorrect in that it only gives the verbatim claim by Veganz' founder that "there is not enough vegan demand".

That is not quite correct at face value. There are a number of vegan supermarkets in Geman cities that are doing well because they set up their operations in a circumspect way and did not follow the "bigger is better" and "as shiny as possible" approach that Veganz has followed.

Last edited: