Vegans /vegetarians in movies & TV?

Not sure what reminded me of this. BTW, back in the Day, I was a huge marshmallow.
This episode of Veronica Mars wasn't pro-animal rights enough IMHO, but it had a stronger message on animal rights than most TV.

Veronica Mars gets hired to recover some stolen lab animals, a monkey, and some rats. She goes undercover at the local student animal rights organization and her best friend Mac starts dating the leader which adds some tension to the case. Several red herrings later, Veronica confronts the student research assistant who stole the animals.

Reactions: Deleted member 3018
Here is the cute animal activist from the Veronica Mars episode "Show me the Monkey". Mac doesn't date him for long.
Oh, I'm not positive but I think Veronica lets the Student Researcher and the Monkey get away, even tho it costs her the fee.

bronson.jpg

The actor, Michael Mitchell appeared in some other movies and TV shows but never broke out.

@ StrangeOtter.
What a wonderful little short. I hope to share it with nonvegans as much as possible.
You may want to post it in a different thread that gets more traffic. or is more relevant. or something.
Anyway. Double Thumbs UP.

:heart::heart:
It is remarkable dedication to the film. And intelligently made, the maker, Like Stories of Old is well-skilled.
It surely deserves more vievers.

Reactions: Lou
To me, fiktional characters are a huge part of everyday life and in a sense they are as real as people in this universe where we execute mundane tasks. Besides, they are lovely company to keep since there is a plethora where to chose; which one to have around. They give strength when desperately needed, they teach important lesson of life and they show aspects that could have never otherwise been revealed. And I shouldn't forget to mention how great role models we can find from books and movies to inspire us through hardships of life.
I had overactive imagination, insomnia and was prone to escapism as a child. Even though those personality traits got me into trouble growing up and I whished deeply to magically become "normal" as I had this illusion that everyone else were, I could never repent those personality traits or what they bring.
Actually, I wouldn't advice anyone who has overactive imagination to detach themselves from imaginary world since I have a reason to assume that when you disconect yourself from your own world, you also become unattached with your emotions and yourself. This makes life feel insignificant and dreamlike which is unpleasant and in the long run self-destructive.
Perhaps, those who have difficulties processing feelings have higher need to retrieve in some alternative universe in order to safely and in peace deal with emotions.
And, to get back on topic, maybe we need vegans and vegetarians in movies and TV to reflect what we already know to be true.
@Lou that White-Throated Capuchin is adorable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Lou
There are plenty of actors who in real life are vegans and vegetarians. Gosh, just google it, there are several longs lists.
But what i think is instructive is that there are less fictional characters that are vegans and vegetarians. And I find it somewhat revealing is that they tend to be portrayed as a little whacky.

Reactions: Forest Nymph
In this episode of Dinosaurs (a cute show from the 90s that I didn't realize as a kid was so deep and politically relevant!), the son asserts himself as a veggie eater in a family of carnivores. It has the expected "let's all eat what we want and get along" timid BS typical of that time period but it's still cool for its defense of vegetarians:

https://www.watchcartoononline.com/dinosaurs-season-2-episode-3-i-never-ate-for-my-father

In this episode of Dinosaurs, the dinos have driven a species they consider "delicious" near to extinction, and once again the veggie son has to save the day. Super adorable as the endangered species talks and has personalities.

https://www.watchcartoononline.com/dinosaurs-season-2-episode-5-endangered-species

All episodes are free!

I'm also getting ready to kick back and watch the new-ish Peter Rabbit movie, he counts as a veg*n character!

Oh? Fortunately, I don't know any of those characters.

Phoebe from Friends, Lisa from the Simpsons, Shaggy from Scooby Doo...all kind of hippie-dippy or nerdy types, it's fairly common on television, though film might actually do a better job of respecting vegan and vegetarian characters, as do some novels.

I remember that TV show. I used to watch it all the time. I didn't know it was still available. I guess I might have to revisit it.

I just checked its Wikipedia page and I am dumbstruck on how detailed it is. Besides there must be quite the devoted fanbase, it says something about the show that there are so many details.

"I'm the Baby. Gotta love me".

Reactions: Forest Nymph
My kids watch a cartoon called we bare bears, it's awesome!, and one of the bears is a panda and is vegetarian and he's my daughter's fave character, they mention it a lot in a positive/ normalised way and it also has environmental responsibility as a theme fairly often too! It's so Good!

Reactions: hopeful
Just stumbled on to this video.
Then I had to search for this old thread.
Surprised that it sort died. And surprised that this clip has not been poster here. Or has it?