Vegans In The Middle Ages | The History of Veganism Part Two

Bite Size Vegan

Vegan Fruit-Ninja
Reaction score

Veganism’s about to get Medieval. The Middle Ages were also known as the Dark Ages, and with good reason…if you were vegan. So what exactly was the “vegan scene” of Medieval Times? Learn about the pushback from the early Christian Church, the Islamic Golden Age, and the spread of Buddhism, Confucianism & Taoism and their effect on vegans of the Middle Ages.

Reactions: Second Summer
That was one giant nugget. Seems well researched, so well done!

I was half expecting you to mention the Cathars a.k.a. albigensians, which are often mentioned in discussions about vegetarianism in the middle ages in Europe. The Cathars were a heretical Christian dualist movement who flourished in southern Europe (southern France and northern Italy in particular). Some say they were vegetarians, others say they were pescetarians, some say only their priest were concerned with what they ate. Their motivation seems to have been both opposition to violence as well as a religious distaste for products of sexual reproduction.

Reactions: Bite Size Vegan
That was one giant nugget. Seems well researched, so well done!

I was half expecting you to mention the Cathars a.k.a. albigensians, which are often mentioned in discussions about vegetarianism in the middle ages in Europe. The Cathars were a heretical Christian dualist movement who flourished in southern Europe (southern France and northern Italy in particular). Some say they were vegetarians, others say they were pescetarians, some say only their priest were concerned with what they ate. Their motivation seems to have been both opposition to violence as well as a religious distaste for products of sexual reproduction.
oh can't believe I missed them! it was bound to happen :( I will be doing a series eventually on Veganism and Religion going into more detail with each religion in separate videos... will have to try and remember them!

and yes, the history nuggets keep ending up HUGE!

oh can't believe I missed them! it was bound to happen :(
No worries, I already knew about the Cathars, and you had all sorts of other interesting bits in there.
I will be doing a series eventually on Veganism and Religion going into more detail with each religion in separate videos... will have to try and remember them!
Looking forward to it!