UK Vegans and Vegetarians in Care or Hospital

• Thread starter Deleted member 14050
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 14050

Hi all,

I work for a charity called Vegetarian for Life. We support people in care settings to make sure they are able to maintain their ethical beliefs and eat nutritionally.

We are currently looking for cases and stories where people who are vegetarian for vegan in care or hospital have struggled to get nutritious food in accordance with their beliefs.

If you or someone you know has been in a situation where they could not get the food they wanted, we would really like to hear about it. It’s really important that people are respected and treated with dignity when in care.

You can let us know in the thread or email us if you want to let us know about situations like this.

Please follow this link if you need more information about what we are looking for or about our charity in general.

Many thanks

Welcome joeVfl what an incredible organization you are associated with .

I had some time in hospital a few years back all the meals were as ordered , except one turned up with meat.
I pointed it out to the staff nurse , I noticed she was very concerned and got on to the kitchen and gave them a real verbal serve about the meal and made them bring what was ordered.
One thing I did do was to write to the kitchen and asked them to clarify if the cheese served was veggie rennet on the menu , as it would clear up the issue not only for vegetarians but also some Jews, Muslims and Hindus .

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
Hi Blues,
Thanks for this. We hear a lot of stories like this as well, it's really sad. When people are in hospital for a short time, they feel like they can cope (though it causes some irritation). But if it is a long stay in hospital or the person goes to a care home it is really problematic. Especially when diet is such a central aspect of a person's identity.
You are right as well, it's not just vegans, but many religions have specific diets and Jains for instance are usually vegetarian due to their religion.

Reactions: Emma JC