Vegan Sandwich Buns

J

Jeremy

I have posted this recipe on other sites but would like my recipes to also be available on the sites I frequent now as well. We loved making these so much "back in the day".

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups soy milk
1/4 cups unsweetened apple sauce
2 Tbsp margarine
1/4 cups sugar
3/4 tsp salt
3 3/4 cups bread flour
2 tsp active dry yeast
1 Tbsp melted margarine

Instructions:

Place all ingredients except melted margarine into bread machine pan and select the dough cycle. Check the dough after 5 minutes of mixing, add a tablespoon of water if needed. When the bread machine is finished remove the dough to a lightly floured surface and punch down. Roll out until about an inch thick and cut with a cookie/biscuit cutter (empty coffee cans work great too) and place on greased baking sheets. Brush the tops with the melted butter, cover and let rise in a warm place until they have doubled in size (takes about an hour). Bake at 350F for 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.

Reactions: KLS52
I have posted this recipe on other sites but would like my recipes to also be available on the sites I frequent now as well. We loved making these so much "back in the day".

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups soy milk
1/4 cups unsweetened apple sauce
2 Tbsp margarine
1/4 cups sugar
3/4 tsp salt
3 3/4 cups bread flour
2 tsp active dry yeast
1 Tbsp melted margarine

Instructions:

Place all ingredients except melted margarine into bread machine pan and select the dough cycle. Check the dough after 5 minutes of mixing, add a tablespoon of water if needed. When the bread machine is finished remove the dough to a lightly floured surface and punch down. Roll out until about an inch thick and cut with a cookie/biscuit cutter (empty coffee cans work great too) and place on greased baking sheets. Brush the tops with the melted butter, cover and let rise in a warm place until they have doubled in size (takes about an hour). Bake at 350F for 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
Do you have a photo of your buns? LMAO :p

Also, I have practically a full 5-pound bag of organic all-purpose flour... would that work??

Do you have a photo of your buns? LMAO :p

Seriously, I LOVES me some sammiches, but would rather be steering away from high-sodium store-bought bread.... Also, I have practically a full 5-pound bag of organic all-purpose flour... would that work??

Bread flour has more wheat gluten in it than all purpose flour does. It gives it more of a springiness. I don't think it's absolutely necessary :) You could always add a teaspoon or two of vital wheat gluten if you like.

Chryssie says she won't take a picture of my buns, sorry lol

Bread flour has more wheat gluten in it than all purpose flour does. It gives it more of a springiness. I don't think it's absolutely necessary :) You could always add a teaspoon or two of vital wheat gluten if you like.

Chryssie says she won't take a picture of my buns, sorry lol
I have never in my life had reason to buy vital wheat gluten. I'm in uncharted territory here... Do you have any suggestions for a particular brand?? As overpriced as they are, I'm sure I could find at least a couple kinds of gluten at "Discount" Health Foods nearby... that's where I buy my nooch.

I usually buy Bob's Red Mill.
Hey, cool! And Kroger's got it! :)

Bob's Red Mill Vital Wheat Gluten Flour
22 Oz

What else can I use this stuff in? Seems like quite a large amount to only use a teaspoon or two at a time.... :confused:

Last edited:
What else can I use this stuff in? Seems like quite a large amount to only use a teaspoon or two at a time.... :confused:
Yeah, I thought about that. It is a lot, unless you plan on making bread every couple of days!

The only thing I know that it's good for is making seitan and chickpea cutlets from Veganomicon.

Yeah, I thought about that. It is a lot, unless you plan on making bread every couple of days!

The only thing I know that it's good for is making seitan and chickpea cutlets from Veganomicon.
Yeah, no meat analogs for me.... LMAO :yuck: The cutlets don't seem too scary, though... and I DO love chickpeas! :)

I just got some more Fold-it flatbread today, so I guess it'll be a little while before I make any myself. LOL

I've actually found a lot of bread recipes that call for a teaspoon or so of VWG... It certainly wouldn't go to waste if you made a lot of bread, pizza dough, etc.

I've actually found a lot of bread recipes that call for a teaspoon or so of VWG... It certainly wouldn't go to waste if you made a lot of bread, pizza dough, etc.
Well, space is a huge problem. I really don't have the surface/counter space to knead or roll dough... and it's extremely rare when I drag out the ancient KitchenAid mixer.

But never say never.... I'm always up for trying a new cooking project. ;)

Well, space is a huge problem. I really don't have the surface/counter space to knead or roll dough... and it's extremely rare when I drag out the ancient KitchenAid mixer.

But never say never.... I'm always up for trying a new cooking project. ;)

Get a cheap bread machine... They take up less space than is required for rolling, kneading, etc :)

All I can say is I absolutely love my seitan making days! I just made it with the addition of active yeast last weekend, one simmered AND baked, the other half in the instapot. It was sooooo goood.
It took years before I wanted anything resembling meat, now things like that give me the same kind of special occasion feeling as a trip to a steak house would. They don't 'replace' meat, I don't really think they'd fool anyone, but they have a savory, multi textured quality you just don't get from whole plant foods.
I'd say I make seitan once a month, and it's a really good time :)
Bad seitan is not good. Good seitan is really good

Reactions: KLS52
All I can say is I absolutely love my seitan making days! I just made it with the addition of active yeast last weekend, one simmered AND baked, the other half in the instapot. It was sooooo goood.
It took years before I wanted anything resembling meat, now things like that give me the same kind of special occasion feeling as a trip to a steak house would. They don't 'replace' meat, I don't really think they'd fool anyone, but they have a savory, multi textured quality you just don't get from whole plant foods.
I'd say I make seitan once a month, and it's a really good time :)
Bad seitan is not good. Good seitan is really good

I agree and you can use it to make some many versatile recipes. It is by far my favourite protein food.

And higher in protein than a lot of actual meat... I need to stop being lazy and make some, since I've been trying to in increase my protein intake by means other than protein powder in shakes
Same here. I used to make it all the time. I don't know why I keep putting it off. It's not that big of a deal. Plus there are recipes that don't require kneading.