Vegan Photographer's Work Ethic

JulieAngelica

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Hi, everyone. I have an ethical question. I've been vegetarian for 9 months and near-vegan for 4 months now. I abstain from animal products and try to only buy cruelty-free cosmetics.

Beside my day job, I'm a part-time photographer (digital, in case anyone asks). Recently, I've been offered to make an advertising photoshoot for my friends, two stay-at-home moms, who are starting a business. They are hand-crafting and selling knitted blankets from this "oversized" yarn. The only problem is they use merino wool. I've asked them about the source and they cannot say for sure if it's cruelty-free. I've seen PETA's films and information on the wool industry and I feel very upset.

On the other hand, I'm just a photographer, not the producer or seller, and I will not be the buyer either. There is this issue of separating the professional tasks from our private opinions. Moreover, even though I'm afraid photographing their stuff might be inconsistent with my views, I'm sure I do lots of other inconsistent things on everyday basis, like using electronics and perhaps buying some non-fair-trade items (more or less unknowingly). Also, I know that my friends are trying to live reponsible lives, and their business would be a small and local one, which is good, I think. I'm scared of becoming too extreme.

So my question is: Do you think I should I take the job?

Last edited:
Reactions: youngbroccoli
Everyone is different and we all are on our own paths in our life journey. I think you need to go with how you personally feel. I don't judge for the very reason of my first sentence here to you, although it may matter that I came about my journey for health reasons more than ethical? :)