Vegan octopus alternative?

miriamdiazmm

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi! I wanted to make a vegan version of the Galician Style Octopus (typical Spanish recipe, photo below), but as the name says, it includes boiled octopus. The rest of the ingredients are fine (paprika, boiled potatoes, salt and olive oil)
Anyone who knows an alternative - similar in look and texture- that I could try? Many thanks!

cea2fe04443e6bd18e24f8b3198e6fdc.jpg

I'd suggest either palm hearts or King Oyster mushrooms. I've seen both used as a calamari substitute. There is pretty much a vegan substitute for every meat, but finding one that's the right texture for octopus could be challenging. It's like most vegan substitutes...you will get close, and some even better than close, but some will never be quite the same as the original.

I have not had the opportunity to taste an Impossible burger up here in Canada yet, but that is one thing I have yet to find a great vegan substitute for. I loved grilling a good burger back when I was a meat eater. I like veggie burgers very much, and I have tried many, but not one actually tastes like a real hamburger. It's something I've learned to live with. I'm just glad my pizza still tastes like pizza...even with fake cheese.

Reactions: TopoGigio
There was century old recipe created by a Chinese imperial chef using King Oyster's mushrooms; basically they would just fry with a couple of ingredients and fry it long enough that it would become really dry so dry that it became hard like meat so that you would actually have to put some effort chewing it. It was originally created for a Chinese empress who followed a plant-based diet and really wanted a meat-substitute.

I would try searching for the recipe online OR experimenting with it yourself.... just fry the ******* long enough with oil unseasoned then once it's really hard you can whatever sauce/seasoning you like.

Reactions: Lou