Vegan Meat (beyond meat)

EANGE

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Does eating fake meat that taste like the animals we are trying to protect defeat the purpose of loving animals? I would love to hear what everyone thinks.

That makes no sense.

I'm not vegan because I don't like the taste of meat. I'm vegan because I am against the killing of animals.
Now I realize some people don't even like the idea of eating meat and therefore won't eat plant-based meat. And I can understand that. But that is a psychological issue (maybe at best a philosophical issue), but not an ethical issue.

Does eating fake meat that taste like the animals we are trying to protect defeat the purpose of loving animals? I would love to hear what everyone thinks.
So you think people are opposed to how food tastes? Or that is a requirement for being vegan?
Like if people are opposed to getting skin cancer they should hate the sun and stay inside rather than use sunblock? And never use self tanning products?

What does it say about lifelong vegans who've never tasted flesh but like these foods?

I told a friend who'd never tasted eggs that kala namak tasted like egg. Is it wrong that she likes kala namak now that she's aware it tastes like a chicken egg?

I grew up eating many soy products along with meat. I never felt they tasted like meat, I actually preferred them.
I no longer even know whether foods taste like meat or not. I'll sometimes tell people that something I've made, like seitan, tastes like meat. I'm told they don't

I know many omnivores who really like Beyond Meat products. In general I'm told that if had one without knowing it wasn't meat they would assume it was meat, but only because they don't have anything else to consider.

In the dozen years I haven't eaten meat there were times I put food in my mouth and got a rush of bile up my throat and compelled to spit it out. Every time what tasted like rotten, putrid, unidentifiable food turned out to be cooked chicken, and in a case of fried rice, pork. To me there was no plant based comparison.

If meat eaters like eating meat so much why do they buy it after it's been processed so long that it no longer bears any resemblance to the animal it came from?

Why do they age, and season it so much it tastes more like a plant based burger?

SInce you ask, I would like to understand how you come to that connection?

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I no longer even know whether foods taste like meat or not. I'll sometimes tell people that something I've made, like seitan, tastes like meat. I'm told they don't

That reminds me of a scene from one of the Matrix movies where the crew is discussing why people are always saying every food tastes like chicken. In their universe no one actually knows what chicken tastes like.

That makes no sense.

I'm not vegan because I don't like the taste of meat. I'm vegan because I am against the killing of animals.
Now I realize some people don't even like the idea of eating meat and therefore won't eat plant-based meat. And I can understand that. But that is a psychological issue (maybe at best a philosophical issue), but not an ethical issue.
In my personal opinion this does not make sense. It's like a crutch or a vegans version of a nicotine patch. Why have all these fake meats which are unhealthy, most actually less healthy then the actual meat? why not create a new type of food consumption?

Everyone has their own path though and i'm respectful to it. I'm raw vegan and there is so much to learn out there. The rabbit hole goes much deeper then you think if you are willing to dig.

this is an informative topic of conversation.

Reactions: Booney
In my personal opinion this does not make sense. It's like a crutch or a vegans version of a nicotine patch. Why have all these fake meats which are unhealthy, most actually less healthy then the actual meat? why not create a new type of food consumption?

Everyone has their own path though and i'm respectful to it. I'm raw vegan and there is so much to learn out there. The rabbit hole goes much deeper then you think if you are willing to dig.

Nutritionally, I think that mainstream vegan organizations would agree with you. The Vegan Society recommends that people eat pulses (beans and lentils), whole grains, fruit, vegetables, and nuts/seeds: https://www.vegansociety.com/sites/default/files/uploads/downloads/The Vegan Eatwell Guide_2.pdf. No mainstream vegan organization recommends that people base their meals on processed or fried foods.

However, your original question is about ethics, not nutrition. Are animals harmed when people eat fake meat? Is there something violent about eating pea protein, spices, and food coloring?

"Why not create a new type of food consumption?". Well, as it happens, the Vegetarian Society (founded in 1847), and dozens of similar groups, have been trying to do this for many years. Despite all of this work, only perhaps 3% of North Americans are vegetarian. The new, ultra-realistic fake meats may not be nutritionally optimal, but they are part of the reason why so many omnivores are (finally) choosing to eat less meat: Good news for Beyond Meat? 95% of people who order vegan burgers when dining out aren’t even vegetarians.

Last edited:
Nutritionally, I think that mainstream vegan organizations would agree with you. The Vegan Society recommends that people eat pulses (beans and lentils), whole grains, fruit, vegetables, and nuts/seeds: https://www.vegansociety.com/sites/default/files/uploads/downloads/The Vegan Eatwell Guide_2.pdf. No mainstream vegan nutrition organization recommends that people base their meals on processed or fried foods.

However, your original question is about ethics, not nutrition. Are animals harmed when people eat fake meat? Is there something violent about eating pea protein, spices, and food coloring?

Nicotine patches may cause harm to self, but not harm to others. Fried and salty fake meats, if eaten regularly, may cause harm to self - they don't cause harm to animals.
my personal opinion, its like a person that is a cannibal. he/she loves human flesh but can't eat it. So they synthesize something that taste like human but not really human.

pea protein, spices, food coloring etc..... all good if made into something else. also one has to ask how do they get those meats to taste like those animals?????? hmmmm?

Being vegan means you are opposed, and avoid, the exploitation of animals. The dietary aspect of vegan is simply not consuming animal products. There is nothing about vegan that says what you eat, only what you don't eat.
Many people eat plant based for health reasons. Saying you're plant based, or wfpb, or raw, doesn't imply ethics. Many who eat plant based for health are more opposed to vegans, and quite adamant about making that known!

I don't feel eating Beyond Meat, which I happen to love, has anything to do with transitioning, and is in no way a crutch. When I first gave up meat many years ago I never wanted to go near anything that resembled meat. Now however, I've found vegan cheses and what you call fake meats and like them very much. The omnivores I know who eat fake meats have no desire to give up real meat. There is simply no relation unless you make up a relation

I do think there can be debate on things like faux fur that looks real, but again it's only there if you make it there

my personal opinion, its like a person that is a cannibal. he/she loves human flesh but can't eat it. So they synthesize something that taste like human but not really human.
Excellent - I support cannibals who choose to eat 100% plant-based fake human meat, rather than eating actual human flesh.

That would mean that they don't eat humans, which I'm on board with! 👍👍

Reactions: Emma JC and David3
Hello!

I can sympathise with people who are transitioning, who choose fake meat products, to ease themselves into being a Vegan. Even though they aren't 'up there' as with whole food plants.

However, for me personally (and it's just that, a personal thing) I can't actually bring myself to eat things that are plant based, but, look like meat. It is definitely psychological for me, I just can't do it. Maybe it's because I am a newbie? This could change in time.....

Hello!

I can sympathise with people who are transitioning, who choose fake meat products, to ease themselves into being a Vegan. Even though they aren't 'up there' as with whole food plants.

However, for me personally (and it's just that, a personal thing) I can't actually bring myself to eat things that are plant based, but, look like meat. It is definitely psychological for me, I just can't do it. Maybe it's because I am a newbie? This could change in time.....

It's a completely valid feeling to have! But to say other vegans are wrong for wanting to enjoy these products is a stretch. Veganism isn't about the taste of meat, it's about the animals. Your mind may very well change about these things in the future or it might not, and there's nothing wrong with either. :blush:

Hello!

When I first made up my mind to never eat meat again I couldn't do thing like seitan, or anything that resembled beef. I still had chik'n things because I grew up eating those.
After a year or two I tried things like Gardein, got very into making seitan, and now absolutely love Beyond meat burgers, ground but mostly the sausages! I treat these as I would fast food, not often and eating knowing full well it's not good for me. Still better than meat

...and again, whether these foods do or don't taste like meat is not only an individuals perception, none taste or look like flesh. Except grilled watermelon. that looks a lot like flesh

These type of products have been developed for flexitarians. More and more people are consuming less meat
because it's a healthier option to reduce saturated fats. Moreover, it is also an important factor to reduce greenhouse gaz emissions.

Products from Beyond and Impossible target flexitarians – people are looking to consume less meat
For the same reason, if you look for a Beyond Burger in the grocery store, you’re more likely to find it in
the meat case than next to other vegan or vegetarian options.

These type of products have been developed for flexitarians. More and more people are consuming less meat
because it's a healthier option to reduce saturated fats. Moreover, it is also an important factor to reduce greenhouse gaz emissions.

Products from Beyond and Impossible target flexitarians – people are looking to consume less meat
For the same reason, if you look for a Beyond Burger in the grocery store, you’re more likely to find it in
the meat case than next to other vegan or vegetarian options.

Yep, I consider it a happy accident that veg*ns can take advantage of the trend toward eating less meat. I so love the BB. I wish it were a bit cheaper, though.