Vegan mac & cheese recipes

silva

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Just made my favorite chese sauce, remembering that a dollop of vegan mayo was my secret, and it came out great!
So many tries- successes and flops. Post your favorites here.
What do you feel is the secret to a good mac and chese?

2 cups unsweetened almond, cashew or soy milk
1/4 cup tapioca starch
2 Tbl oil
1 Tbl white miso
2 teasp ground mustard
2 teasp garlic powder
2 teasp onion powder (or sauteed minced onions)
1 Tbl tomato paste
2 teasp apple cider vinegar
2 teasp lemon juice
a dollop of vegan mayo (1/3 cup?)
5 drops liquid smoke
2/3 cup nutritional yeast
Stir well before heating. Heat while stirring till it starts to thicken.
Continue on heat till thick if making stovetop, or until just starting to thicken if making in oven
I like to mix in a 9x13 casserole with panko crumbs on top, loosely covered for 30 min, 5 min uncovered at 375F

For me, I need vegan butter and nutritional yeast in any recipe for Mac n cheese. I bet the vegan mayo in your recipe would make up for the butter, though. I’m going to try that next time.

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
Another thing I like is to mince a good amount of onion, like a small or half a large, and sautee in oil till almost carmelized. I used to then make a roux but since haven't used enough flour for that, so I just add to other ingrediants

Just made my favorite chese sauce, remembering that a dollop of vegan mayo was my secret, and it came out great!

1/4 cup tapioca starch
2 Tbl oil
1 Tbl white miso
2 teasp ground mustard
2 teasp garlic powder
1 Tbl tomato paste
2 teasp lemon juice
5 drops liquid smoke
Continue on heat till thick if making stovetop, or until just starting to thicken if making in oven
I like to mix in a 9x13 casserole with panko crumbs on top, loosely covered for 30 min, 5 min uncovered at 375F
I made this, and it gets a thumbs up from both my sister and me. I didn't have any tapioca starch, so I made a roux as the base. I also didn't want to bake bread today, so didn't use the last of the loaf for breadcrumbs. I used French fried onions instead.

It's a definite keeper!

Reactions: PTree15 and Val

1/4 cup tapioca starch
2 Tbl oil
1 Tbl white miso
2 teasp ground mustard
2 teasp garlic powder
1 Tbl tomato paste
2 teasp lemon juice
5 drops liquid smoke
I made these cheese sauce again yesterday, and used it in a potato casserole. I added some "ham" flavored tvp chunks to the casserole.

Really,really good. Thank you again, Silva!

Next time, I'm going to use it for a potato ad cauliflower casserole.

Reactions: Val
Want a really good recipe for a hard cheese? This one--
Vegan steamed rice cheese
It's so simple and quick, but does need a good blender because it's really thick! I used an immersion blender okay. It's very solid, slices thin easily, grates well, doesn't melt, but gets very soft which is great for sandwiches, or shredding in hot foods. I disliked a lot of vegan chese for being all sticky when melted- thIs is not sticky.
l added miso, liquid smoke and white balsamic vinegar. I also used the Instant Pot because it's wonderful