Vegan jacket from non-vegan company

(uni project) If Canada Goose was to create a vegan jacket, would you buy it?

• Yes, why not! Great initiative!

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No, because they are still using materials from animals in their remaining products

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

amalieha

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Hey everyone, I'm doing a project at uni where I am investigating the possibility for a non-vegan company like Canada Goose, to (successfully) create a jacket which is vegan. Would you buy it? Even though the remaining collection is non-vegan?

Great question! I am mixed here, I think it would be a great move for the company but I wouldn't want to buy from a company that still uses non-vegan materials, glues, made unethically etc...

Why not.

Sure it would be better to buy a jacket made by a vegan company. but if I really liked it, I would buy it.

I buy my vegetables at a grocery store that sells meat. My shoes come from a company that also uses leather in its other shoes.
I even once went to Taco Bell cause they were promoting vegan menu options. The world isn't going vegan in a day. So let's take it step- by -step.

In fact, you could even argue that it's a vegan's duty to buy stuff like that. If they don't sell it they will stop making it. And in the meantime, as long as its available, nonvegans, almost vegans, proto-vegans might buy it, too. Then the company will think they have something and make even more. And make less goose down filled jackets.

The first sleeping bag I bought for backpacking was goose down. That was like 40 years ago. But then ten years later I got a synthetic filled bag from a local company (Snow Lion). I can't remember all the details but I think the synthetic bag was better than the goose down bag in almost every category.

Why not.

Sure it would be better to buy a jacket made by a vegan company. but if I really liked it, I would buy it.

I buy my vegetables at a grocery store that sells meat. My shoes come from a company that also uses leather in its other shoes.
I even once went to Taco Bell cause they were promoting vegan menu options. The world isn't going vegan in a day. So let's take it step- by -step.

In fact, you could even argue that it's a vegan's duty to buy stuff like that. If they don't sell it they will stop making it. And in the meantime, as long as its available, nonvegans, almost vegans, proto-vegans might buy it, too. Then the company will think they have something and make even more. And make less goose down filled jackets.

The first sleeping bag I bought for backpacking was goose down. That was like 40 years ago. But then ten years later I got a synthetic filled bag from a local company (Snow Lion). I can't remember all the details but I think the synthetic bag was better than the goose down bag in almost every category.

You have a very valid point Lou, I didn't see it like that especially the 'veg from grocery stores that sell meat' part. I do exactly the same! I guess you're right and wouldn't hurt to buy vegan goods from places that still sell non-vegan goods. I've been buying all new clothing and shoes from another online retailer that only sell vegan goods ethically made, but yes I see your point :)

You have a very valid point Lou, I didn't see it like that especially the 'veg from grocery stores that sell meat' part. I do exactly the same! I guess you're right and wouldn't hurt to buy vegan goods from places that still sell non-vegan goods. I've been buying all new clothing and shoes from another online retailer that only sell vegan goods ethically made, but yes I see your point :)

and you know, when you buy from retailers who only sell vegan ethically made products - that is even better. Not only are you supporting that really good company but when that company is successful, other companies, maybe not even in the same business, will see that and go, "hey, maybe that is a valid business plan."

by the way, what is the name of that online retailer you like? I will give them a look-see.

And, how come there are only 3 votes?

and you know, when you buy from retailers who only sell vegan ethically made products - that is even better. Not only are you supporting that really good company but when that company is successful, other companies, maybe not even in the same business, will see that and go, "hey, maybe that is a valid business plan."

by the way, what is the name of that online retailer you like? I will give them a look-see.

And, how come there are only 3 votes?

Hi Lou, I totally see your point on companies selling vegan ethically produced clothing and I like the way you think :) you changed my perception of companies that sell non-vegan products :)
I've been buying from here www.veenofs.com for my last few purchases. I bought shoes for my partner and myself and a hoodie recently. I contacted the company earlier in the year to know more about the products (vegan glues, ethically made etc.) and they verified all of those things, so was happy to purchase.

Not sure about the 3 votes though :(

Reactions: Lou
There should be a separate, pinned thread for vegan retailers for clothes, shoes, bags, and other accessorites IMO. Thanks for the review, Frederic :)
That's a great idea. Please let me know if you come across one or decide to start one :)