US Vegan in India

That's great! Honestly, it's not that surprising, especially if you're in the Northern part of India. From what I've heard, in regions like Uttar Pradesh, the cuisine is mostly vegetarian, so I imagine it might be quite easy to adapt to vegan.

Veganism is becoming increasingly popular in India. There are a variety of vegan-friendly foods available in Indian cuisine, including dals, vegetable curries, and vegan-friendly breads like chapati. There are also vegan-friendly restaurants, markets, and even vegan delivery services popping up around the country. Additionally, many traditional Indian dishes can be made vegan by omitting the dairy and meat ingredients.

From what I know South Indian cuisine is more veg/vegan. I'm fortunate to have three great Indian restaurants near, which have become my go to when I get take out. One is strictly vegetarian, but most are vegan, and all are extremely accommodating to both vegan and my specific spice requests.
Indian groceries are a must!

• Informative
Reactions: bEt and PTree15
I visited India way back in 1985. That was before I went vegan, but it was extremely easy to eat vegetarian. I was there for a month and never had any trouble getting veg food. Traditionally, vegetarianism was always pretty mainstream there.

The thing with India is they know exactly what to do with legumes. Their vegetarian and vegan cuisine is second to none. It's a shame about their use of butter and yoghurt. Can you get vegetable Ghee and plant based yoghurt over there? I imagine it's not difficult to veganize much Indian food.

If I remember right there are at least 3 cities that are totally vegetarian. and maybe one that is vegan.

Also if I remember right it's more politics than religion.

So anyway it shouldn't be "surprisingly easy".

• Informative
Reactions: bEt
Challenge is typically ghee (clarified butter), which the very traditional restaurants insist on using instead of cheaper plant oil.
Also, naan contains yoghurt. Easily veganized but do the traditionalists want it?

Reactions: bEt