Vegan in a farming town, looking for support! :)

GinnyEvergreen

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hi everybody!

My name is Ginny, I'm 27 years old and from the Netherlands. I've been making the transition from vegetarian to vegan in the course of the past year, been FR vegan since a few months now, and I'm LOVING it!! :) It just feels right..! :)

I worked as an animal caretaker at a shelter of the dutch animal protection society, but due to a burnout I'm currently unemployed. Everything is going really well though, and it probably wont be long till I find a new job. :) I am proud mama of 3 dogs, 4 cats, 16 chickens, 2 mini horses and 1 golden pheasant, most of them from shelters or other people who couldn't take care of them anymore. Safe to say, I LOVE animals, and this is a big reason for me to go vegan. I've been struggling with a chronic depression since I was young, which made it hard for me to put my focus on anything else besides getting through the days. Luckily about 1,5 year ago I had a big breakthrough and It's been going so much better since! Never been a better time for me to focus on going vegan then now!

Sadly I live in a rural area with a lot of farmers living near me. People here struggle to understand vegetarianism, let alone veganism, so it would be really nice to meet some like minded people on this forum and learn more about being a responsible vegan! :) Really looking forward to meeting you all!

Love, Ginny

welcome Ginny!!

You have come to the right place for supportive, kind and informative people.

Have you considered making a youtube channel about your "animal sanctuary", even just simple videos about animals living lives that are not threatened continually with the threat of being eaten.

Emma JC

Reactions: TofuRobot
Thanks Emma! I already have a youtube channel actually, it's also called Ginny Evergreen. But it has been a while since I posted anything. I'm still getting my head straight on what way I wanna go with my channel, but I think I will start posting videos again soon! :) My dream is to start an actual farm animal sanctuary. I would love to make videos about that!

Thanks Emma! I already have a youtube channel actually, it's also called Ginny Evergreen. But it has been a while since I posted anything. I'm still getting my head straight on what way I wanna go with my channel, but I think I will start posting videos again soon! :) My dream is to start an actual farm animal sanctuary. I would love to make videos about that!

That's great that you have a channel already in place - some of your pics on instagram are amazing, especially the mini horses. Videos of them would be a big hit I am sure.

Good luck with your decisions.

Emma JC

Reactions: GinnyEvergreen
Welcome!
I grew up on a farm and now I live in the mountains so I can relate to the way you experienced misunderstanding as a Vegan.

Reactions: GinnyEvergreen
Welcome, Ginny! Thanks for sharing your story.

What is FR vegan?

I grew up in a small coastal city where a lot of people had traditionally had their incomes from fishing, and then fish farming and oil & gas in later years. The few vegans I knew moved away. Once I wrote a letter to the local newspaper on our cruelty towards fish. It went right over everyone's heads! Later I moved away, too. But it is a very beautiful place.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
Welcome, Ginny! Thanks for sharing your story.

What is FR vegan?

I grew up in a small coastal city where a lot of people had traditionally had their incomes from fishing, and then fish farming and oil & gas in later years. The few vegans I knew moved away. Once I wrote a letter to the local newspaper on our cruelty towards fish. It went right over everyone's heads! Later I moved away, too. But it is a very beautiful place.

Hi! Thank you for sharing your story! I have thought about moving away a couple of times too, but I think most of the Netherlands is just more of the same. I would have to move to one of the big cities to be in a more 'vegan friendly' environment, but I just love nature too much and I really wouldn't be happy in a busy city. So I just try to educate people that I am not vegan to hate or criticize on anyone or whatever, I just can't stand by what is done to these animals and our planet any longer. I've had a few really nice discussions with people who are open to listening to my side of the story, which they where very grateful for in the end, so that make me really happy. :)

Sorry, I was not being very clear, but with FR vegan I just meant 'for real' vegan. :)

Thanks everybody! :D

Hi everybody!

My name is Ginny, I'm 27 years old and from the Netherlands. I've been making the transition from vegetarian to vegan in the course of the past year, been FR vegan since a few months now, and I'm LOVING it!! :) It just feels right..! :)

I worked as an animal caretaker at a shelter of the dutch animal protection society, but due to a burnout I'm currently unemployed. Everything is going really well though, and it probably wont be long till I find a new job. :) I am proud mama of 3 dogs, 4 cats, 16 chickens, 2 mini horses and 1 golden pheasant, most of them from shelters or other people who couldn't take care of them anymore. Safe to say, I LOVE animals, and this is a big reason for me to go vegan. I've been struggling with a chronic depression since I was young, which made it hard for me to put my focus on anything else besides getting through the days. Luckily about 1,5 year ago I had a big breakthrough and It's been going so much better since! Never been a better time for me to focus on going vegan then now!

Sadly I live in a rural area with a lot of farmers living near me. People here struggle to understand vegetarianism, let alone veganism, so it would be really nice to meet some like minded people on this forum and learn more about being a responsible vegan! :) Really looking forward to meeting you all!

Love, Ginny
Hello Ginny, I've just joined the forum so only now seen your post. I've been a vegan for about 25 years. I used to work as a cognitive therapist but now I run a small business, or rather I did until the pandemic! 😕

Welcome :)
I’m also in a pretty rural area right now as well, the main thing I miss is grocery delivery and vegan restaurants.
One thing I noticed is that vegan ice cream costs a dollar more in Mississippi than in Illinois. Other alternatives are slightly more expensive as well.