Vegan hand lotions

Fromper

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
So as mentioned elsewhere, I just moved to Chicago a few months ago from Florida. I'm not used to this dry winter air. I actually bought a humidifier for my home. I don't think they even sell those in Florida. Down there, if you want more humidity in your home, you open a window - 365 days per year. Usually, people down there close the windows and crank the A/C just to get rid of the humidity!

Anyway, the last week or so, my hands have been getting dried out, despite having the humidifier at home and drinking lots of water. So I've been thinking of picking up some hand lotion of some sort. Can someone tell me if any of the major brands that would be readily available at a US supermarket or drug store are vegan (and effective, obviously)? Or would I have to go to Whole Foods and pay twice as much for a vegan version?

--Fromper
:juggle:

I can't think of any. I avoid conventional body care products not just because of animal ingredients or animal testing, but because of toxic stuff that shouldn't be in them. I have found that Whole Food's 365 own brand is pretty reasonably priced, actually. Though I usually find things at the scratch and dent store now. Last time I needed body wash I found EO's Meyer Lemon, a big jug that ordinarily sells for over $20, at the Grocery Outlet for $7. They don't always carry the exact same thing, but they always have something.

I agree that the Whole Foods 365 brand is often quite reasonably priced. (My husband uses their shampoo and shower gel; the large bottles are about $6.). I haven't looked at their lotions, but I know the shampoo and shower gel are vegan and cruelty free.

I use some fairly expensive lotions on my hands (Lush Dream Cream or First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream), so I'm not even familiar with what's available in regular stores.

Trader Joe's has a store brand that isn't bad, I think it's $3.99.

Or you could just make your own. Oil, water and emulsifying wax (you can get it pretty cheap on Etsy).

Aveda and Kiss My Face are two brands of vegan lotions that could be found in any drug or grocery store.

Thanks for the recommendations.

I wouldn't mind paying a little extra for the Whole Foods brand if I were going to Whole Foods, anyway, but that would require a special trip just for this one item. That's why I'm looking for brands that I can find at Jewel-Osco, where I do most of my grocery shopping, or in the Target next to them.

--Fromper
:juggle:

The Say Yes (Say Yes to Carrots, Say Yes to Tomatoes, etc) products are cruelty free, but I don't know which ones are vegan?

Target carries them.