UK Vegan Restaurants/Eateries

Gourmet Burger Kitchen now have a vegan burger (as opposed to burger that is vegan if you omit bits). It wasnt on the menu but was on the board and I didnt spot it. when I asked for the falafel burger with no raita she asked if I was vegan and I ended up with this one instead! Its called Hippy Dippy and hasss:

Grilled aubergine, pineapple, alfafa sprouts and satay sauce.

Honestly I could have eaten the satay sauce with a spoon for dessert. The burger was sooo nice and it was different to have a grilled aubergine instead of an actual burger. A+. Plus sweet potato fries which is always a plus.

Bloody harsh on the pocket though. Let my friend pick where to go and said I'd pay as it was their birthday.... £30 for 2 burgers 2 fries and 2 diet cokes. aaghhh! Glad nothing was on at the cinema as I'd offered to pay for that too, gets me out of some expenditure. Probably worth mentioning this was the Kingston branch where they often test out new stuff, but I hope its available in all branches.

There are lots of places in Sheffield that do vegan food that I haven't actually gone to, so I don't know if it counts, but I'm planning to!

Ottos is a Moroccan restaurant that has vegan, vegetarian and non-vegetarian food, all labelled on their menu: http://www.ottosrestaurant.co.uk/page2.html

The Showroom Workstation is an independant cinema charity with a cafe that sells a couple of vegan (labeled) items (planning to go here this week so can update with a review!): http://www.showroomworkstation.org.uk/cafebar/menu

I have been to this place, I had take away and it was delicious, vegan items aren't marked but if you ask they can help you out, it's Vietnamese but there's also Chinese and Malaysian style dishes: http://www.pho68.co.uk/ourmenu.html

The show room work station had a vegan starter which was popcorn with curry oil and was rubbish, a vegan main which was mushroom and walnut polenta in a bean and coconut milk sauce, which was really unusual and I liked it a lot, it was nice to have something so different!

Unfortunately it was a little marred by the fact that the menu in the restaurant wrongly labeled a desert as vegan, I bought it, ate some, and was fairly sure it wasn't vegan (although, I've cried wolf on this before, so I wasn't 100% sure). I left most of it, went home, checked online and it isn't labeled vegan online so it must have been a mistake. It's the most non-vegan thing I've eaten for 5 years, so that really sucked. I should have guessed when it just said "ice cream" not "soya ice cream" but sometimes restaurants do that, and I'd already double checked with the chef that the VG meant vegan so I thought I'd be crazy to double check again.

But everyone can make mistakes, and their main was very tasty and creative, so I would still recommend, but perhaps suggest double checking if things sound like they might not be vegan.

I think if it had been done nicely it might have been nice, but as it was it was just bland. Like, blander than actual popcorn. :confused:

Lots of their dishes are quite fancy so I think I was expecting something more than just... very expensive flavourless popcorn. It's a kind of cute idea, being in a cinema and all, but it turned out to be an absolute flop.

I got a vegan app that tells you where is Vegan/veggie friendly to eat in your area. I may be going to Sunderland this weekend so searched for places to eat, it popped up with one called The Olive Express (coffee house and kitchen) Apparently does vegan food and has a system that flags orders as Vegan so they can be made away from veggie and meaty orders. Ill let you guys know what its like...if anyone dares venture to the North East that is :p

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but Aagrah is a pretty good Indian chain with some nice vegan options (and a large vegetarian menu) with lots of interesting dishes. They've got a lot more restaurants now and have ventured south... the waiters in the Sheffield branch are really helpful and knowledgeable if you explain what you don't eat :)

Are the burger buns the Portuguese rolls? There was like an alert in the menu saying these now contained milk. Maybe they are something else and I misunderstood xxx

I was in Nandos today. It does indeed say the burgers are served on a portugese roll, and has the alert that they now contain milk.

Went to Las Iguanas http://www.iguanas.co.uk/

Oh Em Gee nicest Guacamole I've ever had in my life. They have a vegan menu online which I printed and bought with me (it says 'ask about our vegan menu' on the normal menu sooo i think they might have some in store too). Such lovely food. The portion sizes arent huge though so worth getting a side. I wouldnt go a lot as its expensive but for a special occasion or if have a voucher, well worth it.

Reactions: AeryFairy
Thanks Liz, never heard of that chain but just checked them out - there is one in Birmingham, not too far from us.

I might just have to go and check them out now that you've recommended it :)

Oh Em Gee nicest Guacamole I've ever had in my life. They have a vegan menu online which I printed and bought with me (it says 'ask about our vegan menu' on the normal menu sooo i think they might have some in store too). Such lovely food. The portion sizes arent huge though so worth getting a side. I wouldnt go a lot as its expensive but for a special occasion or if have a voucher, well worth it.

They do indeed have that menu in the restaurant - just ask for the veggie menu when they seat you :) I go there all the time with my fiancé and my gluten-intolerant vegan friend, mushroom fajitas + guacamole + cocktails = AWESOMEEEEEE.

There's a link to their veg menu on the first page of this thread :)

In my one they always have to print me off a menu because they don't have them, but I still get them to do it to show a demand :D

Yeah the mushroom fajitas + curly fries are really nice, and cocktails are buy one get one free before 7pm. You can often get good offers - I've had a couple of 50% off food offers from studentbeans.com :D without an offer it's a little expensive. But they have quite a good range of food (spicy/not spicy/vegan/meat/etc) so I like to go with omnis/etc because generally everybody is happy.

In Sheffield a restaurant called Maveli is a really tasty south Indian restaurant, lots of vegetarian options and the majority of which are vegan (the staff are really helpful and can tell you what has milk/eggs/etc). Delicious! Reccommend.

I'm going to the Royal Northern College of Music in Manchester soon - any recommendations ? :)

I'm going to the Royal Northern College of Music in Manchester soon - any recommendations ? :)

YESSSSSS!

The burger in this post was from one of my all-time favourite places, V Revolution. It's near enough to the RNCM - take any of the busses into Piccadilly and it's just a short walk from there.

Just over the road from the campus is the 8th Day store/cafe. They sell lots of snacks, hot and cold food from a deli counter, and larger meals in the downstairs cafe. The food is usually awesome (especially when they have some variety of vegan pie on offer).

There's also the Thirsty Scholar pub just up the road, a couple of years ago they made their menu completely vegetarian with vegan options, and they do full English breakfasts, burgers, and the like.

If you need something with meat options (boooo), Zouk just off Oxford Road does damned good Indian food, and caters really well for vegans. Odder also has vegan options, as does the student union bar at the University of Manchester. Plus you'll find plenty of chain restaurants around, like Pizza Express etc.

(Side note - are you just visiting, or actually moving to my wonderful home city? :) )

Last edited:
That's amazing, thank you!

No not moving! Just visiting, I am seeing a concert and thought I'd make a day of it, so we need some lunch and tea and thought I might as well find some good places, I'll go through all the links and pick the best two places for the day. I am moving marginally closer to Manchester soon though :p

Went to Turtle Bay in Southampton for a friend's birthday yesterday. It does Caribbean food and lots of cocktails. Had to ask for the allergy menu, and they didn't have the most massive selection, but there was a couple of vegan options and at least few more that were just vegetarian for each course (including dessert). However, despite a somewhat limited selection, the food was AMAZING. I had a rundown (a stew type thing) with fried dumplings and sweet potato fries, and it was so incredibly delicious that everyone who had meat options wanted mine :p

Also, I've been watching Masterchef, and there was a recent episode inside a restaurant opened by a Michelin-starred chef which focuses on vegetables as the main element of dishes. They still serve meat and things, but I looked the menu online and they have clearly marked vegetarian and vegan options, and the food looked incredible. It's called The Grain Store, and I'm gonna go sometime soon as a birthday treat :D I will report back on what is hopefully incredibly fancy foodie vegan noms.