UK Vegan Restaurants/Eateries

CrazyCatLady

Forum Legend
Reaction score
For vegetarian only restaurants, please see this thread.

Chains
Las Iguanas
Nando's
Pizza Express
Pizza Hut
Subway
Taco Bell
Tampopo
Wagamama
Wetherspoons Pubs

Kew
Rock and Rose

Manchester
Ning

Newcastle Upon Tyne
The Scrumpy Willow and Singing Kettle

Whitby
White House Hotel

===

I'm not sure if there's already anything on this so I apologise if there is.

I thought it might be a nice place to post vegan friendly restaurants, and maybe point out what options we know of there.

(feel free to start up a USA version)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooh I like this thread! Maybe a vegetarian one would be a good resource as well. Can we post specifically veg*n restaurants too?

Pizza express are always happy to sub out things as well. I like to get the avocado, mushroom and tomato salad thing they have with a different dressing (so no honey) and cucumber instead of cheese.

Ooh I like this thread! Maybe a vegetarian one would be a good resource as well. Can we post specifically veg*n restaurants too?

I think there are lots of versions of this thread that would be great. My reason for this one in particular is I am the only vegan of everyone I know...not a single vegetarian friend or relative. So these restaurants are great for when a big group of us go out. Not all of my friends would want to go to a veg*n specific restaurant...but I would obviously prefer to go to one of the above rather than a Harvester (no mains available whatsoever at last check) xxx

I think there are lots of versions of this thread that would be great. My reason for this one in particular is I am the only vegan of everyone I know...not a single vegetarian friend or relative. So these restaurants are great for when a big group of us go out. Not all of my friends would want to go to a veg*n specific restaurant...but I would obviously prefer to go to one of the above rather than a Harvester (no mains available whatsoever at last check) xxx

Okay cool :) I'll start up a specifically veg*n thread

Reactions: CrazyCatLady
I had heard a lot from googling mcdonalds chips that they were unsuitable because they included something beef related. These are the ingredients from McDonalds UK website and they look ok...

Potatoes, Vegetable Oil (Sunflower, Rapeseed), Dextrose (only added at beginning of season). Prepared in the restaurants using a non-hydrogenated vegetable oil. Salt is added after cooking. Please note our Fries can be cooked in the same oil as the Spicy Veggie Patty which contains: Chickpeas (31%), Batter (Rice Flour, Maize Flour, Maize Starch, Potato Starch, (Stabiliser (Xanthan Gum)), Breadcrumb (Rice Flour, Gram Flour, Maize Starch, Dextrose), Onion (10%), Yellow Split Peas (8%), Potatoes (7%), Vegetable Oil (Sunflower Oil, Rapeseed Oil), Water, Dehydrated Potato, Herbs & Spices (Cumin, Coriander, Garlic, Garlic Powder), Sugar, Salt.

I had heard a lot from googling mcdonalds chips that they were unsuitable because they included something beef related. These are the ingredients from McDonalds UK website and they look ok...

Potatoes, Vegetable Oil (Sunflower, Rapeseed), Dextrose (only added at beginning of season). Prepared in the restaurants using a non-hydrogenated vegetable oil. Salt is added after cooking. Please note our Fries can be cooked in the same oil as the Spicy Veggie Patty which contains: Chickpeas (31%), Batter (Rice Flour, Maize Flour, Maize Starch, Potato Starch, (Stabiliser (Xanthan Gum)), Breadcrumb (Rice Flour, Gram Flour, Maize Starch, Dextrose), Onion (10%), Yellow Split Peas (8%), Potatoes (7%), Vegetable Oil (Sunflower Oil, Rapeseed Oil), Water, Dehydrated Potato, Herbs & Spices (Cumin, Coriander, Garlic, Garlic Powder), Sugar, Salt.

That's only in the USA, where the fries contain whey and beef seasoning. They're vegan everywhere else.

Nando's - The veggie burger, ask for no mayo/cheese. It's yummy enough with the sauce. All the branches have a folder behind the counter which list allergens for all their food so you can ask to see it if they have new dishes available. For vegetarians there is also the bean burger, it used to be vegan but now they put cheese in the mix.

There was a spaghetti dish available at prezzos last time I checked. Can't remember the name but it was basically spaghetti in a spicy tomato sauce.

I always wonder with Nando's; don't they cook it on that same big grill as the chicken? Haven't been there for a long, long time so not sure.

If anyone will be visiting Newcastle Upon Tyne I can highly recommend 'The Scrumpy Willow and Singing Kettle'
Excellent vegan choice and a super yummy all day fryup!

Wetherspoon's have a great website to find what is suitable. Sadly there is only really one main dish...sweet potato, chickpea and spinach curry with extra poppadums. A few sides suitable too.
http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/food/dietary-requirements

Worth pointing out that not all branches sell the curry any more. In fact, I cant think of a single one ive been in that still does. The whole food salad is really nice, but sometimes you just dont want a salad (I never want salad).

When I went in Zizzis a few years ago there was nothing vegan on the menu.I phoned ahead and they custom made me a pizza. Let me pick any vegetable off the whole menu to put on it. I have no idea if the base is still vegan, I havent been there since.

Las Iguanas has a vegan menu http://www.iguanas.co.uk/sites/default/files/0912L Las Iguanas Veggie.pdf Theres a new one in Kingston I'm yet to go in.

Rock & Rose in Kew looked really unfriendly for vegans. But they custom made me a whole menu! It was amazing. I even got a really nicely organisedd fruit salad for dessert. http://www.rockandroserestaurant.com/ If youre in London and fancy a pretentious overpriced unique dining environment and posh meal its a good place to go.

... Does that veggie patty list from McDonalds look vegan to anyone else!? vegan food... in mcDonalds. whut? I doubt any vegan would optionally go in mcDonalds but if so that sounds handy if youre with a load of fussy omnis/dieing at 3am and nowhere else is open.

Worth pointing out that not all branches sell the curry any more. In fact, I cant think of a single one ive been in that still does. The whole food salad is really nice, but sometimes you just dont want a salad (I never want salad).

I was in a wetherspoons this morning with some friends, intending to get a lunch...the super wholefood salad was off the menu, as was the hummus and roasted vegetable flatbread. The only vegan things on the whole menu were a jacket potato and beans, a side salad, or chips. Rubbish.