UK Vegan Restaurants/Eateries

Frankie and Benny's pizza bases are vegan so their cheeseless pizzas are ok.

I am still reeling from the news about McDonald's! I have never ordered anything from there except chips (obviously there are other reasons for avoiding them but extra vegan options on road trips is only a good thing!)

Reactions: CrazyCatLady
Dragged to nandos today by omni friends.
Had their veggie pitta (pittas and wraps are vegan but burger buns contain milk - known as Portuguese rolls). U have to specify 'no mayo'. It comes with a bit of salad in there. I had pitta and humous for a starter. Had loads of humous left over to saved it and spread it in my pitta as it was a bit dry xxx

I just add loads of extra Extra-Hot sauce when my burger comes. I agree the burgers are pretty dry without the mayo, they do need something.

I just add loads of extra Extra-Hot sauce when my burger comes. I agree the burgers are pretty dry without the mayo, they do need something.

Are the burger buns the Portuguese rolls? There was like an alert in the menu saying these now contained milk. Maybe they are something else and I misunderstood xxx

Arent the portugese buns the ones that look like lemons? The burgers dont come in those, at least they didnt last time I had one. I like the pitta too much to really care haha.

Arent the portugese buns the ones that look like lemons? The burgers dont come in those, at least they didnt last time I had one. I like the pitta too much to really care haha.

I only assumed these were what the burgers came in. I've seen meal options described as being in a Portuguese roll, pitta or whole wheat wrap. I may have wrongly assumed and apologise if I have and have unnecessarily concerned anyone xxx

:) I went to Las Iguanas today and was much more impressed than last time, this meal was much nicer (and curly fries!). I also had a 40% off student voucher which made it really cheap, woo hoo.

Reactions: CrazyCatLady
Are the burger buns the Portuguese rolls? There was like an alert in the menu saying these now contained milk. Maybe they are something else and I misunderstood xxx

I don't think so, I know the veggie burger (not the bean burger) has been vegan. If this was a recent change then it might well be correct, I haven't been there in a while.

Went to a Harvester today and it was absolutely crap for vegans. There was ONE main dish, pasta in tomato sauce (wait while I fall off my chair with excitement) and even with the salad bar most of the tastier/interesting offerings are not vegan. There was a vegan dessert, fruit skewers if you leave off the ice cream. I left unsatisfied and won't be going again until there's a big menu change.

Can anyone confirm whether Prezzo pizza bases are vegan please? Going there next week. Any recommendations from the menu? xxx

I just told them I was vegan, and they did me a pasta dish with loads of veggies, and a sorbet for dessert. Not sure about the bases, because their allergy menu doesn't break dishes down into different parts, just lists whether dishes are vegan or not (making it look like they're useless). Your best bet is to just talk to the waitress :)

I've been having fun sourcing out vegan food in Ealing. I went somewhere different each day in my lunch break. So far I recommend Tuk Cho, an Asian street food restaurant. They are too pricey for daily lunch (my veggie katsu was £8) but fine for occasional eating out. They had a lot of veggie options and the staff were really nice. Good atmosphere in there too and it was very busy - always a good sign.

I also liked the Thai place across the street and to the right. I can't remember the name, it's on the parade with the big Sports Direct. They do a lunch box for £5 which consists of any of about 10 main meals. They all have a noodle/rice base and you can order any of them veggie. Some of them use egg noodles but most were vegan.

I've been taking lunch with a colleague who's omni, but she asks a LOT of questions about veganism and she seems interested. She keeps mentioning how she feels guilty now about eating meat and eggs and she even said she thinks she could easily be vegan but it would need some preparation. So far she has ordered chicken every day but I wouldn't be surprised if she tries out something vegan soon :)

Reactions: AeryFairy
Went to Pizza Express last night.
Had a lovely cheeseless pizza with tomato sauce, mushrooms, peppers, leek, tomato, asparagus, olives and extra olives as I had no cheese, and garlic oil drizzled over. It was lovely. The waiter asked if I was allergic to cheese, I said no, he looked at me strange, I said proudly that I was vegan, he smiled and nodded :)

I had marinated olives to start but also had the option of their garlic dough balls...you just request garlic oil instead if garlic butter!

And there is a raspberry sorbet as an option for afters.

Would recommend pizza express for a lovely 3 course vegan meal in an omni restaurant xxx

I thought I had read that PE dough balls were vegan, but when I looked at the ones in Tesco they had milk. I wonder why the difference?

I've eaten the dough balls from the supermarkets. :sigh: I had the bruschetta without the pesto and with garlic oil at Pizza Express the other day.

Just checked online - it looks like the milk is in the garlic butter that comes with them, rather than the dough balls themselves.

Yes I think that's right. If you check pizza express allergy and dietary advice is says the dough balls are not suitable for vegans, but can be made so by asking for the butter substitute. I would have expected this as they would be likely to use the same dough as in their pizza bases, which are vegan :) xxx