UK Vegan Restaurants/Eateries

I love this thread! :)

Wagamama have a dietary filter for vegan, there are about 10 options available on there.
http://www.wagamama.com/our-menu

I think it's worth pointing out some of the dishes wagagamams have on their vegan options part need to be customised. Some of the noodles aren't vegan - I always forget which. The staff are really helpful though and they don't mind switching them for you :) I think all the ones I could think of have been said!

I was in a wetherspoons this morning with some friends, intending to get a lunch...the super wholefood salad was off the menu, as was the hummus and roasted vegetable flatbread. The only vegan things on the whole menu were a jacket potato and beans, a side salad, or chips. Rubbish.

I went on holiday to Whitby and ate jacket potato and beans four days running for lunch! Lucky I like 'em really.

Also, it's very specific but http://www.whitehouse-whitby.co.uk/htm/restaurant.htm this place made a special vegan meal for me when I asked, and they told me they'd be happy to make anything they had the ingredients for. They were really really helpful.

If anyone will be visiting Newcastle Upon Tyne I can highly recommend 'The Scrumpy Willow and Singing Kettle'
Excellent vegan choice and a super yummy all day fryup!

I want to go there! That is an awesome name!

(EDIT: Sorry, I can't multi-quote or copy/paste in tapatalk :( )

... Does that veggie patty list from McDonalds look vegan to anyone else!? vegan food... in mcDonalds. whut? I doubt any vegan would optionally go in mcDonalds but if so that sounds handy if youre with a load of fussy omnis/dieing at 3am and nowhere else is open.

It is vegan. So you can have a spicy veggie deli wrap or sandwich without the cheese (I don't think that it normally comes with mayo but it would be best to double check) or the veggie deluxe burger. The veggie deluxe is never on the printed menu but I think most maccyDs sell it. It's the veggie patty in a bun with lettuce and mayo. Ask for it without mayo and it's vegan.
Just be careful though. I've been having the veggie deluxe for a few years (it's just easier to eat there with my family when they want to - less conflict) and they used to be terrible about not putting the mayo on. It was a 50/50 chance that they'd put the mayo on, then remembered that I asked for no mayo and just scrap it off the patty and bun and put fresh lettuce on it. (Even though I'm not vegan anymore I HATE mayo)
I got a lot of free meals from demanding that they remake it fresh because I have an "egg allergy" (not really) and compensate me for my wasted time.
So always double check. They've been a lot better with it recently.

^This is why I don't like most fast food places; a lot of them are so bad with leaving things off, and you end up with cheese/mayo, then it goes to waste because they obviously throw it away.

One place I do like is Taco Bell. There's only a few of them in the UK, but their till system (at least, the Manchester one) means that you never get something you didn't order because they have buttons for no cheese, no sour cream, and so on. It all gets listed on the receipt and out back. I've never had a problem. Also, almost anything on the menu can be made vegan, and it's cheap.

Also Subway. I know some people are like "why do you want to pay for a salad sandwich?" but I love it. The Italian bread is vegan and I think the oat one is (someone correct me?) but herbs and cheese obv has cheese and wheat has honey. The veggie patty has egg but it's gross anyway so order the veggie delite and you get toasted bread and whatever salad you want. The chilli sauce and the sweet onion sauce are vegan.

Also Subway. I know some people are like "why do you want to pay for a salad sandwich?" but I love it. The Italian bread is vegan and I think the oat one is (someone correct me?) but herbs and cheese obv has cheese and wheat has honey. The veggie patty has egg but it's gross anyway so order the veggie delite and you get toasted bread and whatever salad you want. The chilli sauce and the sweet onion sauce are vegan.

It's the oat bread that has honey - it's Honey Oat. Italian, Hearty Italian and Wheat are all vegan, as well as the wraps.

:) cool, I went for the first time recently and it was lovely. I went on the steam train! So cool.

My B&B gave me all the vegans bits of the breakfast (fried bread, hash browns, fried tomatoes, fried mushrooms and baked beans) which was really yummy. They have a shop called Honeyz which is a bit like Lush (not tested on animals and vegetarian, and some of it is vegan) and it all looked really good.

Yeah Ive been there. I didnt buy anything though.
We dont stay all weekend but the year I did I was just a veggie newbie so everything was ok for me (egg on breakfast, cereals...lasagne with cheese etc)
Did you go to the milkshake shop?
I always go to Becketts coffee shop. I dont know if they offer soy milk but I do know that you can preorder/request a vegan cake.

If anyone is attending WGW this November my friend has a stall at the Car show (near the school) and will have vegan cakes(and she sells things with my art on)

/shameless self promo

:) cool, no I didn't I don't think I saw it. I'll check it out next time though because I'm definitely going back. The random goth things in otherwise quite twee shops was kinda funny though.

You may want to add Chips Away to Whitby as they are the only place in Whitby that fry in veg oil.(As far as I am aware there are no others)

'Ask' pizza bases are completely free of animal and dairy products and are
100% suitable for vegans, as is the pizza sauce. You can choose to leave the cheese off.

The Spaghetti Pomodoro can be made suitable without the addition of Buffalo
Mozzarella and the Brushetta and Fettucine Con Verdure are already suitable for vegans; these pastas are not made with egg.

The rosemary and sea salt bread with olive oil or olive tapenade are
suitable for vegans as are the sorbets which are dairy free.

...taken from an email I revived from them xxx

Reactions: hungryraccoon
I love this thread! :)

I think it's worth pointing out some of the dishes wagagamams have on their vegan options part need to be customised. Some of the noodles aren't vegan - I always forget which. The staff are really helpful though and they don't mind switching them for you :) I think all the ones I could think of have been said!

True dat. When I could still eat wheat I always got Amai Udon but asked for no egg or prawns. it was yum and had this amazing sauce and chewy fried tofu.