Vegan-friendliness rating system for cities / areas

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I've been thinking about how cities and areas differ in terms of vegan-friendliness, and whether a semi-serious rating system could be constructed.

Which criteria would you include in such a system? E.g. is the availability of hummus in grocery stores one such criterion? The number of vegan restaurants within a radius of 20 minutes on public transportation? (Or the number of other restaurants that cater "properly" to vegans?) The existence of vegan meetup groups?

Obviously, such a system would be biased in one way or another, I think that's unavoidable. But if all the most common criteria were represented in an easy-to-use user interface, then everyone could use their own formulae and the system would calculate their personal rating! (And no, I did not just volunteer to create the software!)

It's an interesting thought, Indian Summer, but I wouldn't even know how to begin such an undertaking. I live in a relatively small town in the middle of hunting country, but because it's a university town I've found the local grocery stores to be very well-stocked with vegan foods, and public transportation gets me pretty much anywhere I need to go. But I suppose it's all relative. Compared to some cities, where I live would be considered absolutely barbaric, but as rural towns go it's not difficult at all to be vegan.

Also accessibility to farmers markets is important. It is where most of my food $$ goes. :)

It's an interesting thought, Indian Summer, but I wouldn't even know how to begin such an undertaking.
I'm thinking what we need is a metric of some sort. Here is the outline of one way to calculate it, I've tentatively named it the V-value or Vv for short :)

Vv = g(tofu, soya milk, vegan yoghurt, hummus, guacamole, vegan supplements ...) * w_g + o(other vegan items such as toothpaste, cosmetics, clothing, shoes etc.) * w_o + s(meetup groups, vegan festivals, ...) * w_s + a(AR groups, veganism groups/organisations, ....) * w_a + r(vegan restaurants, vegan-friendly restaurants, other vegan or vegan-friendly places serving ready-to-eat food, ....) * w_r

where g is a function to calculate a value for the availability of various vegan groceries,
o is a function to calculate a value for the availability of various other vegan items,
s is a function to calculate a value for the social arena,
a is a function to calculate a value for the activism arena,
r is a function to calculate a value for the the availability of suitable restaurants or other places serving ready-to-eat food,
w_g is a weight applied to g,
w_s is a weight applied to s,
w_a is a weight applied to a, and
w_r is a weight applied to r

And then there is analysis paralysis.... ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analysis_paralysis

I'm thinking what we need is a metric of some sort. Here is the outline of one way to calculate it, I've tentatively named it the V-value or Vv for short :)

Vv = g(tofu, soya milk, vegan yoghurt, hummus, guacamole, vegan supplements ...) * w_g + o(other vegan items such as toothpaste, cosmetics, clothing, shoes etc.) * w_o + s(meetup groups, vegan festivals, ...) * w_s + a(AR groups, veganism groups/organisations, ....) * w_a + r(vegan restaurants, vegan-friendly restaurants, other vegan or vegan-friendly places serving ready-to-eat food, ....) * w_r

where g is a function to calculate a value for the availability of various vegan groceries,
o is a function to calculate a value for the availability of various other vegan items,
s is a function to calculate a value for the social arena,
a is a function to calculate a value for the activism arena,
r is a function to calculate a value for the the availability of suitable restaurants or other places serving ready-to-eat food,
w_g is a weight applied to g,
w_s is a weight applied to s,
w_a is a weight applied to a, and
w_r is a weight applied to r

Reactions: Second Summer