Vegan dissertation survey

Louise McGregor

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hello,
We are two undergraduate students studying Psychology at the University of Edinburgh. For our final dissertation topic, we are studying the association between personality and dietary choices, specifically the paleo diet, the Atkin’s diet, and gluten-free or vegan diets. The study is in the form of an online survey. Firstly, you will be asked a few questions about their diet - why you follow it, and you commitment to it. After, you will complete a personality questionnaire. The study typically takes 20 minutes. Participation in the study is voluntary but participants will be entered into a draw with the chance to win one of two £20 amazon gift vouchers.
We were wondering if you could please take this survey! Our study is being supervised by Alex Weiss of the University of Edinburgh and the survey has been approved by the Psychology Research Ethics Committee. If you have any questions, please contact us at investigatingdiet@gmail.com and we would be glad to help. Otherwise you may wish to email our supervisor at alex.weiss@ed.ac.uk.

Here is the link!
Dissertation Survey

Done.
It seems they are only interested in vegan diets. I put "vegetarian" in the other category since it wasn't available to select, and the survey ended.
For our final dissertation topic, we are studying the association between personality and dietary choices, specifically the paleo diet, the Atkin’s diet, and gluten-free or vegan diets.

As if vegan and vegetarian are that different... my guess is that the personality profiles are similar.... and the same conclusions could be drawn from questioning either.

I would think there are quite a few differences. Maybe I'll design my own questionnaire to prove it :p

Anyway I filled it in. good luck with the rest of your degree :)

I would think there are quite a few differences. Maybe I'll design my own questionnaire to prove it :p

This survey is comparing diet extremes. e.g. vegan vs. paleo. when comparing such diametrically different diets, you could substituent vegetarian for vegan and get the same predictably contrasting results. I don't think this survey has that level of granularity where there would be noticeable differences between vegan and vegetarian. (when compared to something like paleo)

This survey is comparing diet extremes. e.g. vegan vs. paleo. when comparing such diametrically different diets, you could substituent vegetarian for vegan and get the same predictably contrasting results. I don't think this survey has that level of granularity where there would be noticeable differences between vegan and vegetarian. (when compared to something like paleo)
I think the survey might be lumping vegan and paleo together as "extreme" diets, and wants to see if "extreme" dieters are different from those who eat more traditionally. They may not feel that vegetarian is "extreme" enough.

I felt an anti-vegan slant to some of the questions--more like the way they phrased some of them annoyed me.

I think the survey might be lumping vegan and paleo together as "extreme" diets, and wants to see if "extreme" dieters are different from those who eat more traditionally. They may not feel that vegetarian is "extreme" enough.

I felt an anti-vegan slant to some of the questions--more like the way they phrased some of them annoyed me.
One or two of them did have that "If you were stranded on a deserted island" feel to them

Last edited:
I read a very fitting reply to that one in the newest "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" book ...

The protagonist mentioned being asked what he would take to a deserted island if he were only allowed to take 3 things. He pointed out that if he were only allowed to take 3 things, then most likely he would decide not to go to that deserted island.

This stroke me as a rather smart reply to that specific "deserted island question", so "You know, I normally try to avoid getting stranded on such islands" might work well for our special dilemma ;)

Hmm, did not get that feeling.

Especially considering that it would be the same question asked to a vegan and somebody following, e.g., the Atkins diet.
Are you referring to questions like "Would you even continue to follow your diet, even if new evidence came to light that it causes lots of suffering (e.g. farm workers etc.)" ?

I feel very confident answering that question with "Very much", as I am sure there would not be much credible evidence coming to light that veganism leads to problems in that respect. So to me, this is more of a non-question :D

And I don't recall any questions about deserted islands...

I don't think I could represent veganism well, haha. That and it's hard to judge myself.