Vegan cycling recovery drinks

Reaction score
Hi
Does anyone no any good low protein or no protein cycling recovery drinks
Has anyone tried ......my vegan recovery drink ....it has the lowest protein of all the drink I have found
Thanks

What is "....my vegan recovery drink..."?

I have not devoted a lot of research on this but for what it's worth, IMHO, recovery drinks are mostly hype. It's all part of the supplement industry. And again IMHO the supplement industry is just interested in making your wallet lighter.

I think the main purpose of a recovery drink is to replace the water you lost. So it seems like plain old water is the best recovery drink. Unfortunately, water is pretty cheap so you can't support a billion dollar industry promoting water.

The other thing you might want to replace is electrolytes. Mostly sodium and potassium. Most of us don't run low on sodium. but if you did you could just add a little salt to your water. There are all kinds of foods that are good sources of potassium. And there are other electrolytes that you lose besides those two. but they are also found in food. Good news for vegans. Most fruits and veggies have plenty of electrolytes.

Now if you are training really hard and have a low BF%, you might also want to replace glucose. If you think you need to keep your blood sugar levels up you could add a little fruit juice to your water bottle.

Finally, if you are working really hard you should add some protein to your recovery drink. your body needs to repair muscles after a workout and it will need some protein. Remember our bodies do a bad job of storing protein. So you need to be constantly adding it to your system.

I work out in the morning on an empty stomach. but I drink about 16+ ounces of water over about an hour. When I get home i make my own version of a protein drink. One banana, one tbsp of peanut butter, one tbsp ground flax seed, and one cup of soy milk. I call it breakfast, not a recovery drink but it pretty much serves the same purpose. :)

Reactions: Emma JC and Sax
What is "....my vegan recovery drink..."?

I have not devoted a lot of research on this but for what it's worth, IMHO, recovery drinks are mostly hype. It's all part of the supplement industry. And again IMHO the supplement industry is just interested in making your wallet lighter.

I think the main purpose of a recovery drink is to replace the water you lost. So it seems like plain old water is the best recovery drink. Unfortunately, water is pretty cheap so you can't support a billion dollar industry promoting water.

The other thing you might want to replace is electrolytes. Mostly sodium and potassium. Most of us don't run low on sodium. but if you did you could just add a little salt to your water. There are all kinds of foods that are good sources of potassium. And there are other electrolytes that you lose besides those two. but they are also found in food. Good news for vegans. Most fruits and veggies have plenty of electrolytes.

Now if you are training really hard and have a low BF%, you might also want to replace glucose. If you think you need to keep your blood sugar levels up you could add a little fruit juice to your water bottle.

Finally, if you are working really hard you should add some protein to your recovery drink. your body needs to repair muscles after a workout and it will need some protein. Remember our bodies do a bad job of storing protein. So you need to be constantly adding it to your system.

I work out in the morning on an empty stomach. but I drink about 16+ ounces of water over about an hour. When I get home i make my own version of a protein drink. One banana, one tbsp of peanut butter, one tbsp ground flax seed, and one cup of soy milk. I call it breakfast, not a recovery drink but it pretty much serves the same purpose. :)
Thanks for the advise.....that banana peanut butter soya combo is what I have been using just thinking about trying something a bit more complex....but it seem like I don't need to from what you are saying
Have a look at this let me no what you think https://www.myvegan.com/nutrition/vegan-recovery/11802980.html

Thanks for the advise.....that banana peanut butter soya combo is what I have been using just thinking about trying something a bit more complex....but it seem like I don't need to from what you are saying
Have a look at this let me no what you think https://www.myvegan.com/nutrition/vegan-recovery/11802980.html

Oh! there is a company called "My Vegan".
Did not know that.

Anyway, I looked it over and it does seem like a good product.
Not sure if I did the math right. About one Pound per serving? That's not too bad.

I thought I would compare it to my PB/Soy MIlkshake. but Cronometer doesn't have that product. However, it does have several other My Vegan products. which is a nice surprise. Anyway, all the ingredients look healthy.

I don't use recovery drinks. In hot weather I'll use electrolyte tablets (nuun) before and/or during my ride. After group rides we often have a beer or two. Otherwise I just drink water and eat food.

A couple of the "serious" riders I know swear by Hammer Nutrition's HEED.

Sports nutrition is way too full of marketing, bro science and other BS for me to try and figure out. But I think recovery drinks...at least some of them...make sense for people who need to train really hard. No point in putting yourself through suffering if you aren't getting the most out of it. Maintaining a really high level of fitness means frequent, intense workouts...if you aren't properly recovering from each before the next you'll either fall off your training plan or injure yourself. Makes sense that some liquified/easy absorbing nutrition immediately after workout could help with that.

But there's a whole industry trying to convince people they need to buy what the pros buy to get better...almost everybody just needs to ride more and eat healthier.

Reactions: Emma JC
Was reading a little more about food combinations, nuts and seed are best eaten alone or with raw vegetables. Same with dates.

I’m not exactly a health nut, but a few months ago I realized I wasn’t getting enough protein for the amount of running I was doing (nothing very impressive; about 12 mileas a week at the time, at the embarrassingly slow pace of 11.5 minutes per mile). So I started making sure I eat beans, lentils, or chickpeas every day. After my runs, I drink a glass of Silk chocolate soy milk and eat a handful of shelled pistachio nuts. So far, it’s working well for me.

Reactions: Lou
I read in Men's health that chocolate milk is the best after workout drink. It seems like then that chocolate soy milk would be even better.

Chocolate milk is an ideal post recovery drink, see the attached article. Although the researchers used cows milk, a good alternative is Oat Milk. A good chocolate milk would be made up with oat milk and Mortimer Chocolate 70% Ecuador Chocolate Powder, which is high in anti-oxidants and is available at Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chocolate-Drinking-Cooking-Mortimer-Multipack/dp/B07DXQSFBG/
BBC Good food have a recipe for oat milk.
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/how-make-dairy-free-milk

Attachments

• Chocolate milk as a post training recovery drink.doc
    248.5 KB · Views: 11
Chocolate milk is an ideal post recovery drink, see the attached article. Although the researchers used cows milk, a good alternative is Oat Milk. A good chocolate milk would be made up with oat milk and Mortimer Chocolate 70% Ecuador Chocolate Powder, which is high in anti-oxidants and is available at Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chocolate-Drinking-Cooking-Mortimer-Multipack/dp/B07DXQSFBG/
BBC Good food have a recipe for oat milk.
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/how-make-dairy-free-milk

I hadn't heard of Mortimer. I checked your link but didn't see a Fair Trade sticker which is what I always look for in my chocolate. Right now I'm working on a can of Equal Exchange Dark Hot Chocolate. But I haven't tried it cold yet. (I love a cup of hot chocolate when I come in from the cold - but winter is over).

There used to be a brand of Chocolate soy milk at my grocers that used Fair Trade Organic chocolate. But my grocer now doesn't carry it. (the eight different kinds of soy milk has been squeezed down to 2 or 3 by almond, oat, and flax varieties. )

So, for now, I skip the chocolate and just use a banana, flax seed, and PB in my soy milk "recovery drink"

I read in Men's health that chocolate milk is the best after workout drink.

Chocolate milk is an ideal post recovery drink, see the attached article.

Just looked into this and it seems to be largely based off a study by Dr. Joel Stager on swimming performance and chocolate milk.

"The study was conducted in conjunction with the Built With Chocolate Milk campaign, part of The U.S. Milk Processor Education Program (MilkPEP), based in Washington, D.C., which is funded by U.S. milk processors."

"Built With Chocolate Milk" is an advertising campaign to market chocolate milk as a recovery drink. USA Swimming has a powerpoint based on this industry funded research which isn't even trying to hide the fact that it's an advertisement for chocolate milk. Money is changing hands, guaranteed.

Competitive swimming is a very white sport. I wonder what results they'd get in basketball or football considering high rates of lactose intolerance among african americans.