Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
  2. Vegetarian
Hello,

Lets start sharing some interesting Vegan Cooking tips.
- I usually like to avoid Cooking cream in any of my recipes though it changes the taste of the recipe but i have found a better option ie. I grind Cashews and use Cashew paste as cooking cream and trust me not one till date have found out in any of my recipes.
- Vegan Baking- Instead of using Shortening I prefer to use clarified butter/Ghee (made of vegetable oil) one will get better results.
- Vegan Baking - In your Cake recipe add Sparkling Water instead Soda.

Let's share tips with each tother

Last edited:
Reactions: forkandveg
Since going vegan, I don't bake anymore, but you have some good suggestions. I just don't crave all the baked goods that I used to make. Although my fav vegan restaurant makes awesome "cheesecakes" - they have new flavors every month.

If I want something sweet at home, I use dates to sweeten my smoothies. And I have a really good pie crust recipe that I also use to make Truffle Balls. It just uses nuts, coconut, raisins, and dates. Then I roll them in nuts, coconut, or cacao.

Do you put sparkling water in a cake recipe? I've never heard of that. I shall try it. My cakes need all the help they can get. :confused:

In place of oil for cooking, I use water, vegetable broth or stock, unsweetened plant milks, or binders such as beans, dense fruits, pumpkin, squashes, potato, tofu etc. Sometimes I grind whole nuts/seeds. In the event I do use oil, I use very little to accomplish the task.

In the rare event I make a homemade pie crust (about once a year lol), I have had success using coconut butter (not oil, but coconut butter). This also works for frosting. This is for those trying to avoid palm oil that is often found in vegan butters.

When cooking dry beans, I soak them at least 12 hours but usually 24 hours first (except lentils). When cooking them, I add a little kombu to help draw out gases and add some nutrition to the beans. I also use the bean soak water to water my herb plants I keep in my porch off the kitchen, and green plants indoors. I cook my beans at least an hour, sometimes two depending on the bean and quantity.

When making homemade bean and/or veggie burgers and patties, adding chopped fresh herbs and seasonings like basil, parsley, garlic etc makes a HUGE difference in flavor! They are also great in raw salads.

I utilize my steamer pot/basket a LOT for lightly softening carrots, sweet potatoes, potatoes, broccoli, etc. It is a time saving tool! I can have mashed sweet potato in twenty minutes tops (five minutes to peel them, fifteen minutes to steam and soften). I think steaming helps preserve the flavors of vegetables and legumes also, if you keep it short and light.

Is there a reason you peel your produce? I leave them on and haven't found that it makes a difference. I don't peel anything I put in my smoothie (using a Vitamix). When I make a mash I also use the cooking water in the mash.

One tip I learned when using coconut oil - you can make salad dressings using half coconut oil and half olive oil; this will prevent it from turning solid.

Is there a reason you peel your produce? I leave them on and haven't found that it makes a difference. I don't peel anything I put in my smoothie (using a Vitamix). When I make a mash I also use the cooking water in the mash.

One tip I learned when using coconut oil - you can make salad dressings using half coconut oil and half olive oil; this will prevent it from turning solid.
I only peel produce on certain occasions, when I am after a certain texture or creaminess, as with the sweet potatoes. I've been known to eat the peelings too while I am peeling and preparing them. :)

Do you put sparkling water in a cake recipe? I've never heard of that. I shall try it. My cakes need all the help they can get. :confused:

Yeah, As we can't use eggs and milk. Sparkling water is used to keep the fluffy. People use Soda also but i will suggest to use sparkling water as its fizz stays for a longer period of time.

Some of my tips are:
Create vegan buttermilk by adding vinegar to any non-dairy milk.
If you need to replace eggs while baking, flax or chia meal and water mimics the texture perfectly.
Refrigerate coconut milk overnight and use as whipped cream.
Use avocado instead of butter.

Some of my tips are:
Create vegan buttermilk by adding vinegar to any non-dairy milk.
If you need to replace eggs while baking, flax or chia meal and water mimics the texture perfectly.
Refrigerate coconut milk overnight and use as whipped cream.
Use avocado instead of butter.
Really Nice:)