Survey Vegan cooking sauces

ecldkerr

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Flexitarian
Good Morning all, I'm currently studying Food Design and Technology at Liverpool John Moores and I've been tasked with making a new vegan cooking sauce in my Food Product Development Module. This will be made in part using a cutting edge brand new ingredient which I have to keep secret about unfortunately!

However, being a meat eater (I know, i'll pay for my sins ha ha) with only limited knowledge about a vegan lifestyle, I would really appreciate some input that I would value!

What I mean by cooking sauces is for example, korma sauce, stroganoff sauce, a hearty root vegetable stew sauce (Like a hotpot base sauce)

I'd like your thoughts on:

1) The existing range of cooking sauces (which I gather is very little)
2) What types of sauces you'd like to see hitting the shops in ready made jars (Similar to Homepride and Dolmio ones you see in supermarkets)
3) What do you think would be an acceptable price to pay for a 500g jar of a new cooking sauce?
4) What acceptable meat alternatives could be put into a cooking sauce (e.g. I've heard of a bacon substitute made of Soya?)

Any response you could offer me would be a great help. Additionally if anyone finds this interesting i'll keep popping in each week updating the thread about what how the development is going.

Hope you all have a great Sunday

Take Care

Dave

I think most vegans would want the option to add fake meat or not, and would be put off if there was fake meat already in the product.

Things like vegan korma sauce would be good. Would probably make a good cauliflower and potato curry. In general creamy sauces often have milk in them. There is no reason why they can't be veganized.