Vegan Bulgar Cheese

gbsk

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
I am new to this forum. My wife is making Vegan Bulgar Cheese according to Sandor Katz's book. The description/recipes are not very exact. She has been fermenting the cheese for 3.5 weeks. Our house is in Alaska and the house is around 65 degrees. How can we tell if it is done? It does not smell very cheesy yet. Any hints?

Thanks,
GB

I don't know much about making vegan cheese but welcome to Veggieviews!

Welcome GB Khalsa! I have never made fermented Bulgar cheese, but I have made fermented oatgurt (from raw oat groats) and also homemade vegan yogurt from homemade almond milk and coconut milks. I knew mine was finished when it took on a sort of sourish tangy flavor but still tasted VERY good. I had to keep my oatgurt and my yogurt at a temp between 90 and 110 degrees Fahrenheit. For my oatgurt, I placed the jar of oatgurt mixture over a heavy cookie sheet that was over a heater in the corner of my kitchen and that seemed to work. I tried the warm oven approach for my homemade vegan yogurt but it didn't work very well. I recently purchased a yogurt maker that keeps a steady temp of 110 F and that worked beautifully! I would think 65 F would be too cold? Do you have it in a draft free place?

I am intrigued now by this bulgar cheese! I may just have to put that on my list of new things to try. :)

Just FYI... if this thread is ONLY about bulgar cheese, it doesn't need to be NSFW (Not Suitable For Work).... ;) LOL

@GB Khalsa :welcome: Glad you found us! :D
I have been a vegetarian since 1973. I have had many vegan things. Some are very good and others are lousy like almost every vegan cheese nd cheesy sauces. I did have one at a potluck that was storebought that was excellent. I got Katz's book for fermenting in general and decided to try this but my wife beat me to it. I only saw 3 choices for opening new topics and did not know what NSFW meant so tried that. Where should this post go? We did end up leaving the bulgar cheese out 4.5 weeks instead of the 3 suggested weeks. My wife had to stir it every day so it would not mold.

Welcome GB Khalsa! I have never made fermented Bulgar cheese, but I have made fermented oatgurt (from raw oat groats) and also homemade vegan yogurt from homemade almond milk and coconut milks. I knew mine was finished when it took on a sort of sourish tangy flavor but still tasted VERY good. I had to keep my oatgurt and my yogurt at a temp between 90 and 110 degrees Fahrenheit. For my oatgurt, I placed the jar of oatgurt mixture over a heavy cookie sheet that was over a heater in the corner of my kitchen and that seemed to work. I tried the warm oven approach for my homemade vegan yogurt but it didn't work very well. I recently purchased a yogurt maker that keeps a steady temp of 110 F and that worked beautifully! I would think 65 F would be too cold? Do you have it in a draft free place?

I am intrigued now by this bulgar cheese! I may just have to put that on my list of new things to try. :)

Thanks for the reply. We basically left it out much longer than suggested. The bulgar cheese is pretty easy to make. It is just bulgar soaked with water covering it and added salt. It is covered. We use a sheer nylon cloth. It needs to be stirred every day to prevent mold.

I have been a vegetarian since 1973. I have had many vegan things. Some are very good and others are lousy like almost every vegan cheese nd cheesy sauces. I did have one at a potluck that was storebought that was excellent. I got Katz's book for fermenting in general and decided to try this but my wife beat me to it. I only saw 3 choices for opening new topics and did not know what NSFW meant so tried that. Where should this post go? We did end up leaving the bulgar cheese out 4.5 weeks instead of the 3 suggested weeks. My wife had to stir it every day so it would not mold.
I'd have to whole-heartedly agree with you on the vegan cheeses.... :yuck: LOL

I'll see if I can nab the attention of one of the higher-ups to "fix" thread flags.... Are you able to edit thread title at all? Click Thread Tools at the top to see what your options are....

@Indian Summer -- I know you folks are en route across the pond to my neck o' the woods, but can you get rid of the NSFW on this thread?

Reactions: Second Summer