UK Vegan Bake Off Contestant Deletes Social Media Page Following Horse Riding Backlash

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian

Vegan Bake Off Contestant Deletes Social Media Page Following Horse Riding Backlash

Sorry about the large font. I don’t understand this. How is merely riding a horse unethical? I can understand the criticism if she competes in races and other events, but she didn’t say she did. This seems weirdly puritanical to me.

• Agree
Reactions: Blues and silva
How is merely riding a horse unethical?

horse back riding is considered by some to be not vegan.

PETA doesn't seem to have too many issues with it. They consider horses to be in the same category as pets.

BiteSizeVegan did a great blog entry (and I think there might also be a video). She even uses science. Her conclusion was that horseback riding wasn't vegan.

I sympathize with the contestant. who put these people who criticize the right?

Reactions: Emma JC and Amy SF
As someone who once had horses, I don't think horseback riding is un-vegan. I do consider horse racing and other exploitive treatment cruel like the soring of the legs and feet for those high stepping performances at horse shows. I despise rodeos as well. Horses have been domesticated for a long time and are loving and wonderful companions.

Reactions: Amy SF and KLS52