Vegan baby formula

• Thread starter Deleted member 12514
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12514

Hi all, I am about to have my first baby and looking for a vegan baby formula. I am a bit overwhelmed due to all the papers published on how soy and rice formula are not suitable for newborns/babies. It is just as a back up incase I have any issues breast feeding. The lactation consultation to are very unhelpful advised many times "there is no such thing as vegan baby formula", in Irelqnd or the EU.

Any advice would be appreciated. :)

Hi all, I am about to have my first baby and looking for a vegan baby formula. I am a bit overwhelmed due to all the papers published on how soy and rice formula are not suitable for newborns/babies. It is just as a back up incase I have any issues breast feeding. The lactation consultation to are very unhelpful advised many times "there is no such thing as vegan baby formula", in Irelqnd or the EU.

Any advice would be appreciated. :)

welcome to the forum Santina

a quick google search brought me to this page... maybe it will be helpful

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: Lou
I suppose you've checked into breast milk donation banks--a quick search did not look promising for Ireland.
The link from Emma is the best source. I believe the soy controversy is quite conspiratorial. So many colicy babies-including my son- were brought up on soy formula
Rice however, really offers almost nothing to nutrition, so I'd say a last resort.

Reactions: Lou and Emma JC
Rice has the issue with inorganic arsenic which is very bad for small children.

Soya should be fine, but I believe a fully vegan baby soya formula does not yet exist in the EU, or is very difficult to find / expensive to buy.

There is however such a thing as soya baby formula in the EU, just that it's been fortified with non-vegan vitamin D.

Two issues with the article Emma linked to: 1) I seems to be mostly for people in the US, and 2) The author appears to not know about vegan vitamin D3 - there is such a thing, I get it in my daily supplement (Veg 1)! But the other info is probably fine.

You 'gotta to what you gotta do', though. The baby will need food, and while breast feeding is ideal, many new mothers find it a challenge. (But don't give up!) My wife was lucky to get support from La Leche League - you might want to see if there is a local chapter if your lactation consultant isn't being helpful.

Reactions: Lou and Emma JC