Veg*an at work

Mikkel

Forum Legend
Reaction score
At your work place, how much do they care about that you are veg*an? Do they always have an option for you for lunches, treats, candies for Xmas and Easter and such things, or are you left with only watching the others eat? And are you the only veg*an at your work place?

Not the same I know, but the place where I volunteer always makes sure there's something veg*n for those of us who are. When ever we have a party or event, there's always options. It's great!

Reactions: ledboots and Mikkel
It must be a total pain if veg/vegan people have very veg-unfriendly workplaces. Most of my workplaces have been very good. I worked in central London (when I was veggie) and they always had vegetarian and vegan options whenever there were meetings or conferences. All of the organisations I've worked for have been in urban areas where you could easily go and get a veg lunch from a shop or cafe nearby.

I did work for a charity just after I went vegan and they had a get together and all I could have was crisps and water. I think there may have been some salad too, without dressing of course.:D

Reactions: Mikkel
Except for the animal sanctuary, no place I've worked ever had vegan options or treats.

I just looked at as they were making it easier for me to avoid junk food I didn't need.

At your work place, how much do they care about that you are veg*an? Do they always have an option for you for lunches, treats, candies for Xmas and Easter and such things, or are you left with only watching the others eat? And are you the only veg*an at your work place?
There are almost always vegan or at least vegetarian options at official work things, like lunches or breakfast meeting food. Because healthcare, they can't look hypocritical lol.

People bring non veg food in, and get pizza, etc, which I just ignore unless they order from the indian place. ;) There are lots of veg*ns in the big hospital, but none I work with. So I can get vegan food at the cafeteria.

I work in a large building full of cubicles with all the non patient centered medical staff (coders, billers, payment posting etc) for a medical organization. There are huge catered events there several times a year as well as holiday potlucks for all the employees. There are never vegan options. Even the salads are preloaded with dressings, cheese, meats etc. Very rarely there are fresh fruit trays, but they are far and few in between. Events are catered since there is not a cafetaria or onsite food sources other than vending machines (the only food/drinks I could or would eat from those is orange juice and a fruit cup, nothing else is vegan). A long time ago I spoke to one of the food coordinators about offering some vegan or at least vegetarian options. I showed her a list of possible foods that could be included and made sure to include easy to find and cheap items like veggie tray with hummus, fruit tray, corn chips/salsa etc. I was told that years ago (before I worked there) a survey went around for vegans and vegetarians regarding this and all said they didn't care. The coordinator also said that if she started accomodating vegans, she would have to do the same for the gluten free crowd, paleo crowd etc and it would be too complicated. So I gave up advocating anything. I just do not participate in the building wide potlucks.

For my department, there have been a few people kind enough to bring vegan dishes. A friend of mine makes a vegan pasta dish even though she is omni. I ALWAYS bring a few vegan dishes to share. In fact last week I made lemon donuts with a coconut butter frosting (works so much better than plant margarine seriously! and no palm oil) and people devoured them!

At the main campus downtown where we have two hospitals and two clinics all linked together, the main cafeteria/food serviceshas been great about including ever more vegan options. I donated a book a few years ago to the director of nutrition services there called "Vegan in Volume" and a letter detailing my mothers experience as a gluten free vegan inpatient in the hospital and having to live on plain potatoes and oatmeal (she was in for severe diverticulitis). I gave some ideas and was very nice and encouraging in my letter. It took over a year, but the director responded to me with a huge thank you and said he had been working on incorporating five menu items from the book I donated for their cafeteria menu on a regular basis. those have now been implemented, and they have a vegan wild rice salad from the book always available at the salad bar. They now have hummus, vegan bagels, soy milks, and vegan energy/granola bars and yogurts at the cafeteria as well. The director added my name to a few vegan menu items with a thank you for donating the Vegan in Volume book they used to make the menu item. I am a contact person for other vegans and those interested in plant based eating. :) So at least THAT has been a positive experience. Someday when I have more time I am going to head over to the competing hospital and do the same. :)

It doesn't bother me a ton that my place of work doesn't cater to vegans. It keeps me away from the junk lol. I happily bring my own homemade foods to work daily for my meals, and now a new Whole Foods Coop just opened two blocks from my place of work (and ten blocks from where I live). They have a HUGE selection of vegan food and deli items, including tofu and seitan dishes at their deli, as well as vegan curries etc. I am spoiled now. :)

Whenever there are catered events, there is unusually an online registration form where I can tick for "special dietary requirements" and then specify "vegan". So there is usually something to eat, but it might not be great food exactly. Also, often there is no vegan dessert.

Often there are emails going around alerting us to the fact that there are leftovers from meetings and conferences in the building where I work, and I'm often able to find fruit and vegetable finger foods there.

I don't work in a office setting. I bring my lunch to work everyday.

Sometimes there is an employee meeting before my shift. There may be cookies or something. I pass on them of coarse. They did put up an announcement for a BBQ this Friday. I avoid. I may at times get a can of soda but that's it when they have these events.

Not to sound harsh, but I'm not at work for food so it doesn't matter.

Next week our cafeteria at work is doing "meat free". Let's find out what that means lol. This week was Ancient Grains week--quinoa cupcakes (not vegan) were a thing lol. But brown rice, and mixed white and wild (not even a grain) were served. :rollseyes: