Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Job title: super moderator
Post type: 1 year
Division: mod squad
Salary: none
Application deadline: 16th July 2012

With the resignation of Lord Snot from the mod squad, there is now an opening as super moderator. The moderator will have access to the moderator forums, certain admin features depending on interest/experience, and may in the future also enjoy other privileges yet to be named.

I'm especially looking for someone with interest and/or experience in using social media to attract new members and promote the site.

If you're interested, please send me a message with some details about yourself and a paragraph or more about why you're a good candidate.

Duties
Work with myself and other moderators to give software support, banish trolls, obliterate spammers, moderate threads, give help and advice, help promote the site, and any other board-related duties I can think of.

Essential qualifications & skills
  • Must enjoy helping and serving the community.
  • Must have sufficient time to devote.
  • Must have a good reputation in the community.
  • Must be able to work in a team.
  • Must be able to spot and deal effectively with trolls & spammers.
  • Must be above newbie-level in veg*ism.
  • Must be able to learn to use the board software effectively, including the mod tools.
  • Must be able to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.
Desirable qualifications & skills
  • Previous moderator experience.
  • Life experience.
  • Experience in dealing with challenging personalities.
  • Interest in using social media as a way to attract new members and promote the site.
  • Knowledge of Internet jargon, Internet phenomena, skilled in using Internet resources such as Wikipedia, search engines, and relevant online databases.
  • Interested in learning more about the board software and its add-ons & modifications (styles, smilies etc), find new games for the arcade, report bugs and request new features to the developers.
  • Experience with Google Webmaster Tools, and using it to improve ranking in search results.
  • Have ideas about how to help this website become something more than "just" a message board.

Reactions: Rosie1
Dumb question: Why is "life experience" a requirement? Does that rule out teens? I do wish to point out that there ARE some teens who are rather mature for their age. Michelle was a mod on VB as a teen, until her need to focus on her education intervened. She then did the mature thing and stepped down as a mod. And she was a very good mod, too.

Just my opinion. :)

I'm not speaking for Karl here, but he did list that part in "desirable qualifications and skills", not an absolute requirement.

Btw, stewards / forum moderators can of course also apply.

I hope I didn't make the job sound too difficult. Well, summer time (in the northern hemisphere where most VVers live) is not the best time of year for this sort of thing I suppose.

i don't think age necessarily has to factor particularly heavily into whether or not somebody has 'life experience'. i know some people in their 60's and beyond who have led very dull lives, and not really made a whole lot out of the experiences they HAVE had. :p

Just wanted to say I'm shocked at how well behaved everyone has been on VV. We've had only a small handful (literally!) of reported posts since the launch, and few other problems in that area, so this super mod post has the potential to be a really good deal: You get all the gossip in the mod forums and no hard work!

The deadline for applying is today!

He's right. Most of you here have made our jobs pretty easy *Hopes to not jinx it* :p