Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Job title: moderator
Post type: 1 year
Division: mod squad
Salary: none
Application deadline: 10th June 2012

As you may be aware, I became a first-time dad six months ago, and although I still somehow manage to find a good bit of time for computer-related activities, there is no way I can satisfactorily run this message board all by myself. So I need someone to help out, preferably on a daily or semi-daily basis.

The moderators will have access to the moderator forum and may in the future also enjoy other privileges yet to be named.

Duties
Work with myself and other moderators to give software support, banish trolls, obliterate spammers, moderate threads, give help and advice, and any other board-related duties I can think of.

Essential qualifications & skills
  • Must enjoy helping and serving the community.
  • Must have sufficient time to devote.
  • Must be able to work in a team.
  • Must be able to spot and deal effectively with trolls & spammers.
  • Must be above newbie-level in veg*ism.
  • Must be able to learn to use the board software effectively, including the mod tools.
  • Must be able to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.
Desirable qualifications & skills
  • Previous moderator experience.
  • Life experience.
  • Experience in dealing with challenging personalities.
  • A good reputation in the community.
  • Knowledge of Internet jargon, Internet phenomena, skilled in using Internet resources such as Wikipedia, search engines, and relevant online databases.
  • Interested in learning more about the board software and its plugins & modifications, find new games for the arcade, report bugs and request new features to the developers.
  • Have ideas about how to help this website become something more than "just" a message board.

I always thought being a mod was/would be cool but was never sure if I'd ever be good at it; probably a bit too introverted/lurky for it.

Excellent, there seems to be a lot of interest! Those who are seriously interested but haven't worked with me before on another board may want to consider messaging me some info about themselves and why they think they'd be a good moderator :)

Reactions: AspireToExpire
:( I always wanted to mod but with the bug and the other one on the way I know I wouldn't be able to devote the time needed. Maybe in a few more years when they're in school.

I don't want to be a mod really; I have trouble finding my arse in the mornings, let alone navigating the world of the internet.

Hmm... you mentioned picking games for the arcade, which makes me wonder...

Playing on the idea of subforum or section-specific moderators, would you be interested in letting someone handle the arcade for you? It's super exciting to finally have an arcade again, and although I'd probably never ask or wish to be entrusted with the title of moderator, that is definitely something I'd be interested in, if even possible with the software.

Why not break the mods down to focus on specific subforums?

That way, it's not as time consuming a job.

I like this idea. It seems that mods tend to get overwhelmed and stressed out at times so maybe if the modding was broken down like this it wouldn't be so bad?

I always thought being a mod was/would be cool but was never sure if I'd ever be good at it; probably a bit too introverted/lurky for it.

People would run amok if I were in charge...
MG_LMAO_F.gif