Music Using sex in the music industry

rainforests1

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I generally have no problem with people showing more skin, but the Miley Cyrus video(part of which appears to be completely nude), I'm just not interested in it. If they had talent, do they really have to do this? Do you approve or disapprove of singers using sex?

I think the problem is I don't like music videos in general. It looks like nothing more than a bunch of scenes put together. Last I read, Miley's CD hadn't passed 700,000 in sales in the US. I don't think it's helped her too much.

I don't really care if Miley Cyrus chooses to be scantily clad or naked. Cyrus' cultural appropriation

And which culture was she appropriating? Which culture embraces stripping moves and gyrating their butts?

There's a lot to criticize Miley about, if you care about that sort of thing, but those who start to claim "cultural appropriation" seem to have some really odd assumptions about what another culture is like.

And which culture was she appropriating? Which culture embraces stripping moves and gyrating their butts?

There's a lot to criticize Miley about, if you care about that sort of thing, but those who start to claim "cultural appropriation" seem to have some really odd assumptions about what another culture is like.
tumblr_inline_mjt6k0vQxI1qz4rgp.jpg

tumblr_inline_mjt6o7OTJs1qz4rgp.jpg

tumblr_inline_mjtwqpgrkd1qz4rgp.jpg

image_zps662c6b87.jpg

Etc.

Reactions: thefadedone
I actually dont mind the nudity in the wrecking ball, it is visually an interesting video. what I dont like is all the tonguing and self rubbing and stuff she does, gives me the heebie jeebies for some reason.

Last edited:
I don't really care if Miley Cyrus chooses to be scantily clad or naked. Cyrus' cultural appropriation, and use of Black women as props, is the real problem.

Definitely agree with this.

Ah yes, all Indians have feathers and wear cocktail dresses. And all blacks have fake gold teeth. No harmful stereotypes there.

And lets not even start on the Bindi, which is pan-cultural even in Southeast Asia, and is about as appropriating as a nose ring at this point. (Not to mention that the typical Bindi looks nothing like that, at least in my neck of the woods....)

Religious significance

Traditionally, the area between the eyebrows (where the bindi is placed) is said to be the sixth chakra, ajna, the seat of "concealed wisdom". The bindi is said to retain energy and strengthen concentration.[1] It is also said to protect against demons or bad luck. The bindi also represents the third eye.[2] It is also used in festivals such as Holi.[3]

In modern times, bindi is worn by women of many religious dispositions in South Asia and Southeast Asia, and is not restricted to one religion or region. However, the Islamic Research Foundation, located in India, says "wearing a bindi or mangalsutra is a sign of Hindu women. The Islamic dress code does not permit a Muslim to wear any sign, symbol or mark which is specially significant of a non-Muslim."[4] The traditional bindi still represents and preserves the symbolic significance that is integrated into Indian mythology in many parts of India.

Red represents honor, love and prosperity, hence it was worn traditionally by women to symbolize this.

The red bindi has multiple meanings which are all valid at the same time. This is also a spiritual symbol.

• By one simple interpretation it is a cosmetic mark used to enhance beauty.
  • From Vedic times, the bindi was created as a means to worship one's intellect. Therefore, it was used by both men and women. The worship of intellect was in order to use it to ensure our thoughts, speech, actions, habits and ultimately our character becomes pure. A strong intellect can help one to make noble decisions in life, be able to stand up to challenges in life with courage, and recognize and welcome good thoughts in life. The belief was that on this a strong individual, a strong family and strong society can be formed.
  • In meditation, this very spot between the eyebrows (Bhrumadhya) is where one focuses his/her sight, so that it helps concentration. Most images of Buddha or Hindu divinities in meditative pose with their eyes nearly closed show the gaze focused between eyebrows (other spot being the tip of the nose – naasikagra).
  • Swami Muktanand writes 'auspicious Kumkum or sandal wood paste is applied (between the eyebrows) out of respect for inner Guru. It is the Guru's seat. There is a chakra (center of spiritual energy within human body) here called Ajna (Aadnyaa) chakra meaning 'Command center'. Here you receive the Guru's command to go higher in Sadhana (spiritual practice) to the 'Sahasraar' (seventh and final chakra) which leads to Self-realization. The flame seen at the eyebrow is called 'Guru Jyoti'. (From Finite to Infinite, by Swami Muktananda, SYDA Foundation, S. Fallsburg, NY, 1989, pp. 88–89)
  • The encyclopedic dictionary of Yoga informs that this 'Ajna Chakra' is also called the 'Third eye'. This center is connected with the sacred syllable 'Om' and presiding it is 'ParaaShiva'. After activation of this center, the aspirant overcomes 'Ahamkar' (ego or sense of individuality), the last hurdle on the path of spirituality. (Encyclopedic dictionary of Yoga, by Georg Fuerstein, Paragon House Publ, NY, 1990, p. 15).

Some Indian people,especially women, get very angry when they see non Indian women wearing a bindi. One of the reasons is the religious significance for Hindus, the other is the fact that many Indian women are aware that they receive harassment, prejudice and racial profiling when wearing traditional Indian clothing, and a white person decides to wear it and suddenly it is "trendy" and "fashionable". Really offensive.

Some Indian people,especially women, get very angry when they see non Indian women wearing a bindi. One of the reasons is the religious significance for Hindus, the other is the fact that many Indian women are aware that they receive harassment, prejudice and racial profiling when wearing traditional Indian clothing, and a white person decides to wear it and suddenly it is "trendy" and "fashionable". Really offensive.

Could you please read the rest of the article you quoted?

Especially this part:
Bindis are worn throughout South Asia, specifically India, Nepal, and Sri Lanka, by women, men, girls and boys, and no longer signify age, marital status, religious background or ethnic affiliation.[10] The bindi has become a decorative item and is no longer restricted in colour or shape.[11] Self-adhesive bindis (also known as sticker bindis) are available, usually made of felt or thin metal and adhesive on the other side. These are simple to apply, disposable substitutes for older tilak bindis. Sticker bindis come in many colors, designs, materials, and sizes. Some are decorated with sequins, glass beads, or rhinestones.

I generally have no problem with people showing more skin, but the Miley Cyrus video(part of which appears to be completely nude), I'm just not interested in it. If they had talent, do they really have to do this? Do you approve or disapprove of singers using sex?
Sex + rock n' roll have been intertwined forever. Do musicians have to resort to using sex to sell their records if they are really talented? No, but sadly the fact is that sex sells. The more racy, provocative, and jaw dropping the video the more attention grabbing it is.

As for Miley, she is well known as being Hanna Montana and she's trying to shed that good girl Disney kid persona. She's doing whatever it takes to break free from that just like other child stars (Brittney and Christina for example).