US USDA & HHS release 2020 Dietary Guidelines

The U.S. Department of Agriculture and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services have released the 2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans: https://www.dietaryguidelines.gov/s...ietary_Guidelines_for_Americans_2020-2025.pdf
I signed some petitions and wrote letters to get dairy out of the recomendations.

I haven't figured out if we should consider this a "win".

For individuals who choose dairy alternatives, fortified soy beverages (commonly known as “soy milk”) and soy yogurt—which are fortified with calcium, vitamin A, and vitamin D—are included as part of the dairy group because they are similar to milk and yogurt based on nutrient composition and in their use in meals.​
Other products sold as “milks” but made from plants (e.g., almond, rice, coconut, oat, and hemp “milks”)
may contain calcium and be consumed as a source
of calcium, but they are not included as part of the dairy group because their overall nutritional content is not similar to dairy milk and fortified soy beverages. Therefore, consuming these beverages does not contribute to meeting the dairy group recommendation.​

I signed some petitions and wrote letters to get dairy out of the recomendations.

I haven't figured out if we should consider this a "win".

For individuals who choose dairy alternatives, fortified soy beverages (commonly known as “soy milk”) and soy yogurt—which are fortified with calcium, vitamin A, and vitamin D—are included as part of the dairy group because they are similar to milk and yogurt based on nutrient composition and in their use in meals.​
Other products sold as “milks” but made from plants (e.g., almond, rice, coconut, oat, and hemp “milks”)​
may contain calcium and be consumed as a source​
of calcium, but they are not included as part of the dairy group because their overall nutritional content is not similar to dairy milk and fortified soy beverages. Therefore, consuming these beverages does not contribute to meeting the dairy group recommendation.​
The previous edition (2015 - 2020) of the Dietary Guidelines also included calcium-fortified soymilk as being part of the "Dairy" group.

This is not bad (from page 36 of the Guidelines):

"Individuals should be encouraged to make shifts to increase the intake of vegetables, fruits, beans, whole grains, and dairy to move intakes of these underconsumed dietary components closer to recommendations."

Reactions: Lou
The 2020 U.S. Dietary Guidelines are the very first edition to include nutrition recommendations for children under the age of 2.

• Informative
Reactions: Lou