News US Republican candidates 2016 discussion

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Some of the big names who have officially announced their candidatures so far appear to be:
  • Jeb Bush
  • Rand Paul
  • Ted Cruz
  • Ben Carson
  • Mike Huckabee
  • Marco Rubio
  • Rick Santorum
  • Carly Fiorina
  • George Pataki
Which of the candidates would you prefer as President of the US? Alternatively, which of these would be the lesser evil? Who is the most animal-friendly?

Whichever candidate the Tea party hates the most.
That's probably Pataki. He and Bush are the most reasonable of the bunch. The rest are either bat **** crazy, incompetent, somewhere to the right of Genghis Khan, or some combination of the above.

Reactions: Andy_T
That's probably Pataki. He and Bush are the most reasonable of the bunch. The rest are either bat **** crazy, incompetent, somewhere to the right of Genghis Khan, or some combination of the above.

While I agree, it's a pretty uncomfortable concept that Pataki and Bush are "the most reasonable of the bunch". Bush's lips have been firmly pressed against the butt cheeks of the evangelicals as of late.

I was reading about some of their viewpoints and all I can say is yikes!

It's a sad day when one of the best outcomes would be another Bush family member. I think about that episode of The Simpsons whenever I hear his name.:p

I'm not political enough to carry on an actual conversation but I can "Google" with the best of them and found this regarding Pataki:

Pataki, 69, who served as governor from 1995 to 2006, faces an uphill battle for the Republican nomination in a crowded field of candidates. He is the most moderate among a pack that includes Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) and Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.). Many of Pataki's rivals have national followings, and hold public office nearly a decade after Pataki finished his third and final term as governor of New York.

Pataki also faces skepticism over whether he is conservative enough to win Republican primaries. His record as governor of deep-blue New York, and his career in Republican politics prior to the party’s turn to the right, make him the most moderate Republican presidential candidate to date. Pataki has supported environmental preservation efforts, abortion rights and gun control laws.

Yeah, there's no way in hell Pataki will win the GOP nomination.

It doesn't matter to me which GOP candidate wins the nomination, because I don't like any one of them. Whoever wins will, for me, simply be the candidate Hillary Clinton has to beat.

Bush' awful response to the questions about his brother(ones he should have known were coming) sure makes him look competent.

Bush' awful response to the questions about his brother(ones he should have known were coming) sure makes him look competent.

What has been heard can not be unheard... He tends to take the "Oh, I misspoke... What I really meant was <fill in the blank>..." approach, but what it really is, is baby brother speaking based on the demographic of the moment. I hope it all comes back and bites him on the ***.

Some of the big names who have officially announced their candidatures so far appear to be:
  • Jeb Bush
  • Rand Paul
  • Ted Cruz
  • Ben Carson
  • Mike Huckabee
  • Marco Rubio
  • Rick Santorum
  • Carly Fiorina
  • George Pataki
Which of the candidates would you prefer as President of the US? Alternatively, which of these would be the lesser evil? Who is the most animal-friendly?

I am not politcally savvy, as I have been voting since 1976 and only really liked Carter out of all the presidential candidates over the years.

Don't like any of the above list. Rubio and Bush are both Floridians (well, Bush became one at some point) and both speak Spanish fluently (Jeb Bush's wife is Hispanic, I forget which country) which is a big advantage politically. Rubio is very far right, and Bush has the W baggage. Rand Paul would never get the nom because he is too much of a dove for the Republicans. Plus he whines. I don't know anything about Ted Cruz, Pataki, Carson, or Fiorina. Santorum is a whacko, no way would he get the nom. He is a scary man. Christy, no, he is from a blue state, too many photo ops with Obama after the hurricane, and is considered too far left. Huckabee no way, whacko religious nut.

It's interesting that as late as end of May this year, Donald Trump was apparently not on our radar! Now, The Trump is winning big on the polls. (He would struggle in the general election, though - the polls on RealClearPolitics show he's losing against both Clinton and Sanders at the moment.)

Anyway, how bad is The Trump, really? How bad is he compared to these other Republican candidates? He says a lot of crazy stuff, but does he really mean it? Would he follow through on it if here were president?

Anyway, how bad is The Trump, really? How bad is he compared to these other Republican candidates? He says a lot of crazy stuff, but does he really mean it? Would he follow through on it if here were president?

In comparison to most of the others... About the same really, he just happens to be squawking louder than the others and his lies are a little more obvious... I've said it before and I'll say it again Jeb is the voice of reason in this bunch... 10+ years ago in our minds guys like Bush, McCain, Reagan, etc were your (ultra?) conservatives. But since the formation of the Tea Party these guys have gotten just plain crazy to the point of making Bush, etc seem like pretty fair and reasonable guys in retrospect.

Well, none of them, of course. They are all from the Dark side :confused:.

If you asked me whether I would prefer to be shot, stabbed or quartered, then well, yes, I would likely reply that I would prefer to be shot. But my heart would not really be into it.....

Last edited:
In comparison to most of the others... About the same really, he just happens to be squawking louder than the others and his lies are a little more obvious... I've said it before and I'll say it again Jeb is the voice of reason in this bunch... 10+ years ago in our minds guys like Bush, McCain, Reagan, etc were your (ultra?) conservatives. But since the formation of the Tea Party these guys have gotten just plain crazy to the point of making Bush, etc seem like pretty fair and reasonable guys in retrospect.

I agree. It's one thing being a Republican, which is fair enough if you see society that way, but some of their views are unbelievable.

I was reading an interview with Arnold Schwarzenegger (as I'm reading his autobiography at the moment) and he was saying the same thing. Arnold Schwarzenegger interview: 'Losers stay down. Winners get up'

I didn't really know much about Trump before, apart from that he was mega rich, but he seems like a complete idiot if he is being serious in the comments he makes?!

ETA -Donald Trump under fire for mocking disabled reporter - BBC News

Last edited:
Some people are Republican in name only...because their parents were Republican and they didn't know any better at the time when they registered. Just saying, lol. What matters is how they vote. [emoji6]

The way I see it, at the moment Republican candidates campaigning is a lot like professional wrestlers touring with the WWE... Lots of posturing and acting tough and extreme. The operative word could be acting, but then again maybe not. It's hard to say what is really in a person's head.. Would Donald really spit on poor Mexican immigrants, or Syrian refugees? Or act on any of the stuff that comes out of his big pie hole? Your guess is as good as mine. But I will say this, I personally believe that Trump is more pandering to crazies, while guys like Rubio, Cruz, and Paul ARE crazies.

Reactions: Second Summer