(US) Drugstore chain CVS bans cigarette, tobacco sales

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Drugstore chain CVS to sacrifice $2 billion by banning cigarette, tobacco sales

CVS Caremark, the nation’s second-largest drugstore chain, announced on Wednesday that they will suspend all cigarette and tobacco sales in their 7,600 stores by Oct. 1, the L.A Times has reported.

The dramatic move by one of the country’s biggest healthcare companies, which said it is giving up about $2 billion in annual sales, or about 1.6% of the company’s 2012 revenues, comes after years of pressure from public health advocates and medical providers.

In a statement, Larry J. Merlo, the president and chief executive officer of CVS Caremark, said “As the delivery of healthcare evolves with an emphasis on better health outcomes, reducing chronic disease and controlling costs, CVS Caremark is playing an expanded role in providing care,” He added. “Put simply, the sale of tobacco products is inconsistent with our purpose.”

Wow. I never thought I'd see THAT in my lifetime.

Of course, while plenty of people will be applauding this move, I can imagine others will attack them for denying them the "freedom" to smoke, as well as pointing out the inconsistency of banning tobacco sales while still selling candy, salty snacks, alcohol and soda, which is a good point, actually. People will still be able to ruin their health by buying stuff at CVS. :p

Wait... drugstores in the US sell cigarettes? That's mad. I am thinking a drugstore is a big pharmacy (like Boots or Superdrug over here) right?

Reactions: Second Summer
Eh, are smokers really all up in arms over this? Do many smokers rely on CVS to buy cigarettes? You can purchase cigarettes in so many other places for half the price. Drugstores have the highest prices on tobacco compared to gas stations and tobacco shops. During my 10 + years of smoking I never purchased cigarettes from a drugstore. Actually, I don't think I know any smokers who would regularly purchase their cigarettes from a drugstore.

Didn't even know they sold cigarettes. I'm sure (like most things) that they're so expensive they're probably more cutting them because of no sales than caring about anyone's health.

People in front of me in line at walgreens drug store buy cigarettes. If they buy 2 packs, there's a discount. I hope they stop selling them, too. My adult daughter smokes, and it makes me sad.

I actually heard on the news that they are sacrificing $2 billion dollars in sales.

ETA: Haha...just saw this in the link above.