Urad Gota?

walterbyrd

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
My wife got a bag of Khazana "Urad Gota" at Costco. Is this the same as "Urad dal" or "Urad daal" or "Urad daal gota sortex" ?

Does this cook up that same as red lentils? Does it taste similar enough to red lentils that I can use it to replace red lentils?

• Urad dal is sold in different forms in Indian stores or online. You have the split white lentil that's most commonly available and used, and this works fine in this recipe. You have urad gota, which is the whole, round lentil, not split, that makes a good substitute. You also have the split lentil with the black skin still on (urad dal chilka), which is the kind I used here. And you have the whole, unsplit lentil with the black skin on. Confused? Yep, but I'll make it simple for you: you can use any of these in this dal recipe and you'll get the same result. Split lentils will cook faster, so if you haven't already bought your lentils, try and buy these. I like using the ones with their skins on because why not?
From this site: Spicy Urad Dal (Black Lentil Dal).

I'm far from expert on Indian dahls, but I've found in general, if they're split and deskinned they dissolve, if whole they keep their shape, but will get soft enough to be paste like if cooked a bit more.

• Informative
Reactions: walterbyrd and 1956
Thank you. These are white, which, I think means they do not have skins. I think cooking time is supposed to be about the same as for green lentils. In an instant pot, I think that means to cook for nine minutes.